Laugh for the day

Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Teacup
Love these stories! Years ago my husband had a church ministry and our family moved to a big old parsonage in a very small town. One day I went down to the creepy old basement to change the cat litter box and decided to do a general sweep of the floor while I was at it. I went into a little side room that had no light and my broom ran over the top of a huge rat with a loooong skinny tail. It lunged at me. I threw the broom and swear I didn't touch a single step on my way upstairs. My shrieking brought hubby and our two little kids running. Hubby bravely crept downstairs with a flashlight and a big stick. He came back up doubled over with laughter, carrying a piece of fuzzy insulation over a foot long that had a thick wire wrapped around it and trailing behind. When I ran my broom over it, it rolled toward me. I'll never forget my terror.
These tales on ourselves are really great!! (NOT the experiences but the recounting of them!!!!)

Before my little old cottage was well remodeled and restored, the man who first lived in the earliest (half-hearted) restoration worked until midnight each day.

He came home one night and thought he saw a shirt of his hanging in the dark on the front door knob, assumed left by his mother. He reached for the knob, pushed the door open, and a big old black snake fell off it into the living room and slithered away into the corners. Of course, being a "mature" old farm boy, he just went on to bed and didn't worry about the thing! [He didn't KILL it???? It was left there to just live on???!!]

This was years before the cottage was remodeled yet again and I moved into it, but I can tell you it was months before I quit tiptoeing around inside!!

And then one day I saw a similar snake curled up behind a flower pot right near the front door. Man, I started shouting, and taking authority over this property, and jumping up and down, and yelling at all critters that they needed to "be gone" from my sight......I'm sure the neighbors were impressed! The cats were.

Daily I have to remind myself, "You live in the South. You live on a farm. You live in an old, old, old house.....DEAL with it!" (But the hair still rises on the back of my neck!)

Jan in VA
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your story, I've done a few similar things myself over the years and the kids are still laughing at me, but they do make for great memories.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Oh, God! That is the funniest story ever. I can actually see it happening.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 AM

I live in a small English cottage 2 up 2 down although threw remodelling down has grown. I am afraid if I saw either snake or spider I would just sit there and do nothing. My first cat would bring in mice, moles rabbits birds etc all still alive and put at my feet. Me if I saw a pig I would run a mile before I stopped I'm petrified. As young child went to cattle market each Monday and if a sow had beensplitfrom her piglets for sale. Farmers use to how me in any pen , cows bullocks sheep etc to keep me safe.