Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we >
  • laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

• laying in bed around 5:30 and I could hear a coyote we

Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 AM

They make such an erie sound. Gives me cold chills! We have them here and we really get them close at our hunting lease.
    Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM

My dogs always wanted to go out when they heard one as well. Their heritage was as Wolfhounds so of course it made sense. I'd stand guard at the door while they were out in their fenced yard, just in case coyote can jump :?
    Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    they are aggressive and not afraid of people...I have them in my yard....they have their eyes on my three cats. That is why my cats are now in door cats unless we bring them out with a leash...
    Originally Posted by pocoellie
    If you leave them alone, they won't bother you, they're not aggressive.

We keep a rifle by our front door. We both work nights and my daughter is at home. There's no smoking in the house so its there when we go outside at night to have a smoke. She hasn't ever had to use it, but I have a few times. One was right at our mailbox one night. I just shot to scare it because I couldn't see good enough for a clean shot. My husband had one in the yard growl at him too one time.

We hunt them in the colder months. Farmers are always losing calves and other stock. A few years ago the next county over had a bounty on them because they were so thick

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Never really had problems with the coyotes. They come around but have never bothered us. We have had many more problems with the wolves. They have come right up to our home and onto our decks. They have also killed 4 of our dogs over the past 12 years. When they were first introduced to our area I had to have the boys drive a truck down to the bus stop and wait because the wolves were running around. The boys thought it was great since they were only 8 and 10. I will say since they have started letting us hunt them they are staying a little farther back then they use to.
    Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM

[quote=terri bb]reminds me of a story!! my super dear friend and i were fishing. she lives in douglas wyoming and

Loved your story. We have property half way between Sundance and Upton Wy. See lots of yodies :-)
    Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 AM

As a former resident of Wyoming (teacher in Midwest-Casper and Ten Sleep 1960s) I enjoyed the coyote/camping story. The college I attended was the first in western Idaho in early 1890s. The founder, a Presbyterian minister/president wrote that as he worked at his desk late at night on campus, he could hear the coyotes howling on the outskirts of the town, so the mascot of the school became the Coyote (pronounced cy-oo-tee) now called the 'Yotes. I had heard that there were some attempts to keep a coyote to "attend" games, but did not know of it myself, while a student and since. The College of Idaho is a very liberal arts school continuing as the Coyotes!!
    Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by terri bb
    reminds me of a story!! hope i haven't bored you too much but i just had to tell you!! :)
    Love it!!! Great story!
    Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM

I also enjoyed the fishing/coyote story. Thanks for sharing! Someone else mentioned how coyotes and also raccoons freak them out.
    I always enjoyed spotting raccoons (except in my veggie garden) because they're so cute with their bandit masks, but I did get a fright from one once. My husband, daughter (about 7 yrs old then), and I were camping here in Western Washington, on the Dosewallops River.
    It was late evening, my daughter was already sleeping in the tent, and I was sitting by the fire while my husband made a last trip to use the facilities. We had a white plastic garbage bag hung on a tree about 10 feet from where I was sitting (and the fire). I suddenly noticed a raccoon very close to the garbage bag, so I got up (he or she retreated) and brought the bag over to my chair to discourage it. Next thing I knew, that raccoon was marching directly over to me and the bag. Freaked me out!
    I jumped up and grabbed a piece of firewood and shook it at the suddenly very large looking beast.
    Just then my husband appeared, asking excitedly, "Did you see any raccoons? I just saw a couple in the trees on my way back!"
    "Yeah," I replied. "I just had one practically climb into my lap!"
    When they're that bold, you don't know whether they might bite you or something. Still think they're cute, though... from a distance.
    Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

In CO, they were quite fond of small dogs and cats if they could catch them.
    Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM

One night last summer my husband and I were awakened by a coyote in our back yard just under our window. It was the scariest sound ever. I have lost two kitties to coyotes over the years. We don't let our new cat out of the house.