Learned a hard lesson

Old 06-20-2015, 02:35 AM

My first blender had a twist and lock lid on it -and if I would have read the instructions I'd have known that before I spent 2 hours washing down the ceiling and cabinets. Cooking wise I only have problems with fudge and gravy --Fudge never gets solid and gravy is solid enough to be used for pot hole repairs. So I decided to take this as a sign that they must be bad for me. But I am blessed with a wonderful family -Dad makes me fudge and at big family gatherings they send me home with all the left over gravy. : )
Old 06-20-2015, 06:17 AM

Off the subject if you're looking for recipes, there is a blog called Deep South Dish. No affiliation. ALL her recipes work and are good with mostly common ingredients you already have. I hate going to the grocery store, LOL, too much time away from doing what I want to do, like quilt.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
Don't feel badly. I am 63, never married and I still don't know how to cook well.
Not single but hubby does 99% of the cooking. LOL I can make brownies!!
Old 06-20-2015, 07:03 AM

I remember when the microwave came out and they claimed you could bake in it too so I tried to make biscuits in it. They came out like hockey pucks. Of course my daughters were young at the time and each Sunday one of them got to decide what we'd have for breakfast. Leave it to "out of a babe's mouth", my youngest popped up and asked for hockey pucks and gravy. It became a joke for months after that. I never tried to bake in a microwave again. Still don't.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:06 AM

Calla, I'd wondered when you said "it leaked". Couldn't figure that one out but now I know. When still in high school, I started buying items for the kitchen for when I graduated and got my 1st apartment. Still have it the blender from 1968, works like a charm too.

Hope the pie came out okay for you...:-)
Old 06-20-2015, 12:33 PM

The pie was tasty I used coconut........sent two pieces home with a friend who was having a friend to her house.......however she ate them both. I am amazed.........and appreciate S for sharing her recipe. I'm a good and plenty girl so I don't want to mislead anyone......I have learned to cook some things, but not a large variety for sure. The food channel offers dishes too. My DH is a Missouri boy and I am sure he longs for southern dishes. However, he is a gentle soul and as long as it is prepared for him he isn't too picky. I've enjoyed reading the supportative comments.....and the mistakes of others. calla
Old 06-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Dh thinks he's a better cook than I am. Then he pulled a trick he thought would work that I did a long time ago. If mashed potatoes get a little thinner than you want just save them for potato soup later and add some veggies. Do not add flour. You will have nothing but paste. He just about upchucked his potatoes. I have learned if that happens, just put the potatoes aside and nuke a couple potatoes and peel and slice them, they will cook faster. Then add to the thinner ones after mashing a bit first.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:53 AM

We grew up very poor so the only thing I knew how to cook were potatoes and beans. My first dinner I made for my husband had instant mashed potatoes (he bought them). I had never made them, or heard of them. I messed up them so badly. Now I get compliments from all over and my kids do too because I instilled cooking in them. I even get compliments on how well I taught them. It might take a while but if you want to learn, you can do it.