Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Learning the art of making fabric baskets...Some things that I learned on this most recent creation >
  • Learning the art of making fabric baskets...Some things that I learned on this most recent creation

• Learning the art of making fabric baskets...Some things that I learned on this most recent creation

Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM

What a great job you did! Have you thought of doing a tutorial on how to make these?
    Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by RIDGEFIELD
    What a great job you did! Have you thought of doing a tutorial on how to make these?
    Thanks! Funny you should ask...I've done one recently! ;-) It's called "How to make a coiled fabric basket".
    Old 08-28-2011, 02:16 PM

OMG! I love your fabric bowl...thank you for all your tips. I was so excited to make one as I bought a book etc..had these grand visions of what it would look like...well, when I finished it, it was NOT shaped like it was supposed to be shaped...it looked like an Amish hat...I was soooo disappointed...now I see your awesome bowl, and maybe I will try it again. If I lived closer, I would take your class...:)
    Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the information on those lovely baskets. I'll have to add that to my to do list because I have a bunch of projects already lined up. Love your work.
    Old 08-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TFquilter
    OMG! I love your fabric bowl...thank you for all your tips. I was so excited to make one as I bought a book etc..had these grand visions of what it would look like...well, when I finished it, it was NOT shaped like it was supposed to be shaped...it looked like an Amish hat...I was soooo disappointed...now I see your awesome bowl, and maybe I will try it again. If I lived closer, I would take your class...:)
    Thank you for your kind words. I do hope you'll try again...I think they are fun! I wish I lived closer too...I'd love to show you! I did do a tutorial recently on "How to make a coiled fabric basket"...if you haven't seen it...it might give you some pointers that will help you with your next one. blessings, Karen
    Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM

I found the tutorial and want to thank you for taking the time to put all those pictures on the board. Going to try making one someday. Nice winter project.
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Your basket is beautiful. Isn't it amazing how different fabric looks when used this way?

I have a suggestion for your honeypot for your granddaughter--how about if you made it in 2 halves and then joined them together by handstitching with a strip of material and a blunt needle? I haven't tried this, but it seems like it would work. I'd try just about anything for my grandkids!!

Sue
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    Your basket is beautiful. Isn't it amazing how different fabric looks when used this way?

I have a suggestion for your honeypot for your granddaughter--how about if you made it in 2 halves and then joined them together by handstitching with a strip of material and a blunt needle? I haven't tried this, but it seems like it would work. I'd try just about anything for my grandkids!!

Sue
    What a great idea! Thanks! I was wondering how I might do it with 2 pieces but it wasn't clear to me...what you said makes a lot of sense. I do have one that's almost done...and I need to have it done in a week so I may go with that for now. But I'll try what you suggested for another one. Thanks again! Karen
    Old 08-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Love them - another I'm going to do it soon for my to do list.
    Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by karenm36

What a great idea! Thanks! I was wondering how I might do it with 2 pieces but it wasn't clear to me...what you said makes a lot of sense. I do have one that's almost done...and I need to have it done in a week so I may go with that for now. But I'll try what you suggested for another one. Thanks again! Karen
    I've been thinking some more on this. The top half of the honey pot could be made open if you started with an open loop instead of a tight coil. Then just sew as any other bowl. :roll:

Sue