Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Let them eat the cookies.... >
  • Let them eat the cookies....

• Let them eat the cookies....

Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Every year I make some receipes that were my mom's. It's hard not to get all sad and miss people at this time of the year. My family is all over the country. But I do think about the fun and chaos in our kitchen when my mom baked and passed on her skills to we girls. Neighbours might appreciate the gesture, but will just as often give the same welcome to store bought things. It's a dying art. SO BAKE and remember, with every bite.
    P.S. the Fruit cake receipe I was given on this site turned out wicked!! MMMMMM rum.
    MaryKatherine
    Old 12-24-2011, 06:39 AM

Your lesson could apply to a lot of Life... thanks for sharing your sad but sweet story. Amen! and pass the cookies!
    Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 AM

That is a wonderful reminder. We baked yesterday and guess what we ate for dinner? Cookies and Milk!!! My five year old thought he had died and gone to heaven!
    Old 12-24-2011, 07:50 AM

What a lady to love her family above the ohhh's and ahhh's of the neighborhood parties. I hope you served them on your best dishes, too. Our families are the most important thing we have, and they deserve our best efforts. HOORAY for you, and your family. You just made some wonderful memories!
    Old 12-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Oh, thank you for sharing. How wonderful for your family that you learned that lesson from your mother's negative example. My mother made cakes and pies and bread, and I was always allowed to "lick the pan". Reading this reminded me that my husband has never tried to the lick the pan or just be around when I bake (even when he has made a special request). His mother was a wonderful cook but I bet he wasn't allowed around until there was a finished product.
    Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 AM

When my mom made cookies, she always saved me some cookie dough. I do that now for my kids -- save a couple bites in a baggie in the fridge. I remember always liking the dough more than the cookies, and I like sharing that with my kids!
    Old 12-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Both my boys loved being in the kitchen helping me bake (probably wanted to lick the beaters more than anything lol). When they got married they gladly left that duty to their wives. Now I have the most wonderful DDILs who help me slice, dice, chop, mix, bake and clean up ... yippeee. We just pour ourselves a glass of wine or whatever is on hand and have a grand ol' time. And anyone who comes into the kitchen and wants to "taste" something is more than welcome. I love these new memories as well as the old!!
    Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 AM

I grew up with the same kind of mom.....but we got good at stealing from the freezer...and none of us 4 would fess up when she would ask who had been eating the fudge or cookies....it was all of us! I always make up a plate for family to eat from, and keep extra in freezer for refills. I do give away a lot, and take a plate to work, and to family gatherings....but always also share right at home with my own family.
    Old 12-24-2011, 01:43 PM

I wish I was home so I could scan it from a book I have, but there is a great cartoon from the magazine "Punch" -- shows a fancy wedding cake with a slice taken out, the man is saying to his wife, "How was I supposed to know it was for a special occasion?"
    Old 12-24-2011, 03:22 PM

I remember liking the dough or the batter rather than the cookies. sometimes it was hard to get more than a dozen cookies baked, because of the munching... ehheumm.. tasting the dough/batter. lol