Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) >
  • Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

• Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 PM

I have no problem being rude to people who intrude on me trying to solicit, especially the proselytizers. I'll give the usual warning signs first (not answering the door, saying no and don't come back, or if it's when I'm walking down the street, then not making eye contact or changing the subject or otherwise making it quite clear that I don't want to give or hear what they want to spout at me), and if they push past those, they've exhausted my patience and any requirement I feel to be polite.
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM

My problem is that no matter how annoying these people are, I simply cannot tell them off. It's so hard for me to say no and be firm enough for them not to bug me again.

Especially with the Jehovas, I don't even follow my own religeon, what makes them think I would have half a mind to convert to theirs?
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Maybe I'll get a tape recorder and record a big dog barking like mad and muffled sounds of struggle... which I will conveniently hit play on the loud surround sound in the living room before answering the door.
    Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 AM
    Banned

I just don't answer the door unless I know who is there. My front door and most of the drive way can be seen from the front window without 'them' knowing they are being watched. And since our vehicles are in the garage they can't tell if we are home or not.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
    Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    My pet peeves are ...
    3) Cell phone usage while with other friends, eating out, or anywhere else.
    Half the time when someone is speaking next to me in public, I am naive enough to turn to face them. I cannot tell you the vitriolic stares I have received for "listening in" to their phone conversations! Cell phones are taking away the ability to think and act independenly. Even deciding between Coke and Pepsi has become a group decision!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    my DH and I were downtown walking one day and a lady with a cell phone kept saying "can you hear me" I turned around and said "we all can"....she stopped and clicked off the phone and I got a dirty look...my DH cracked up laughing.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 AM
    Banned

Quoted from above: ""Even deciding between Coke and Pepsi has become a group decision!!""

Buying fabric is a group decision too. We often have customers looking at fabric and then get on their cell phones to find out which fabric the other person really wants. I asked my co-worker the other day 'What ever did we do without cell phones?'
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Working with tissue paper patterns. I swear they get the thinest tissue paper possible, and then put it through some sort of paper planner so that it is even thinner than that. No wonder I quilt and seldom make anything that requires a tissue paper pattern!
    Not that this is my big pet peeve or anything, but the last time I bought a Simplicity pattern (for Halloween), the lines were so faint, I could not see them to cut unless I held it up in direct sunlight. I was so upset, but I didn't have time to take it back. Somebody in quality control was sleeping on the job! Next time, I am going to pull the tissue out of the package to ensure that I can read all the print lines.
    Doesn't seem like they have any kind of quality control.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
    misuse of the English language- our region is known for dropping letters at the end of a word (pronouncing t, instead of -th), saying yous instead of you, and many others. Sorry- tird does not come after second. Two, tree... grrrr. Or- saying Hach instead of h.

speak it correctly!

And adults who can't spell, poor penmanship, the list goes on. I like my English proper (as proper as I can get for a coal mining region).

Don't get me started.....

quilt related- don't have any, don't sew with anyone to create a pet peeve. I love all quilters and anything quilt related.

(Now if I could teach myself to type as fast as my brain goes- without typos that would be cool...)
    You wouldn't like living in Rhode Island, or Boston, they speak funny. I should know. I'm from there.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 AM

You mean like saying "cah" for "car" and "Smitt Street" for "Smith Street". LOL, you do get used to it after a while.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Oh and about the "no soliciting sign", I have one too, and when someone comes to the door selling something, I ask them if they can read, they say yes, and I point to my sign and say "this is why this sign is here".

No offence to Jahova witnesses here, but they are the worst ones!

OMG yes.... and you don't want to be rude and tell them off, but if you weren't interested the 17 other times they came, chances are you still don't care for what they're offering!
    The last time the Jahova witnesses came to my house, I told them I was Baptist. They never came back.