Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before) >
  • Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

• Lets hear some pet peeves...(probably been done before)

Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    I have many pet peeves. I won't go in to all of them because I am sure it would become a brawl of some sort, however, one of the biggest I have is when I call somewhere and get "For English press one". Of course I want English, this is America after all!
    Hugs
    April
    I'm with you, I keep pressing O until an operator conects me to a live person.
    Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    You should hear how some people pronounce Neches, Brazos & Bois D'Arc. THey also say Palestine but we say it Palesteen. You know when you got an outsider. In Texas we also say pecon even though it is spelled pecan. Little things that drive people crazy.
    I call it pacon.
    Old 01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QBeth
    Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Mine is hearing Massachusetts, and February mispronounced, and when someone says 7am in the morning. 7am IS in the morning.

"Febooary"??? But, I'm at a loss on how someone could mispronounce Massachusetts (I was born there). "Massa CHUS utts"?? You should hear people who try to pronounce Worcester as "Wore chester"! We forgive visitors but local newscasters should really know how to pronounce surrounding town names. It is "Wooster." Don't ask me why, it just is. I'm sure folks in other parts of the country that have local names derived/based on American Indian names have the same problem.

As for quilting PPs, I create my own. As in, I'm now ready to start sewing something that has a deadline only to find that my machine, which was working perfectly a week ago, is having hiccups. Errrrrrr!! It wouldn't be so bad except I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm the one who is doing something wrong, not the machine!
    Misprononcing names here is how we know news,traffic, ad people are not from this area.

I am with you on the second one also, be it sew machine or computer, or new digital camera.
    Old 01-28-2010, 02:45 PM

How about some pet peeves from here in Japan?

-Sitting on the train between two older men who just put out cigarettes and smell like ashtrays. I bring filtering masks in my purse just for this purpose.

-Young people who walk down the stairs looking at their cell phone screens and block everyone behind them.

-Old women (with all the time in the world) who stop at the top of the staircase and start chatting, thereby causing the people behind them to almost fall down the stairs.

Now some quilting peeves:
    Japanese quilters usually tell me that hand quilting is the only authentic way to make a quilt. And I reply that my great grandmother had a sewing machine and my grandmother made quilts both ways.
    Quilters here also tell me that American people used to make pieced quilts from their old clothes. I tell them that they made quilts from the scraps left from making clothing. A hundred years ago, clothing was discarded when it was virtually in tatters- no good for quilting!
    Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    Women holding or pushing in a cart a crying baby or child and not trying to get them to shut up. They continue shopping as if the child is sleeping. Parents - seems like Mothers - trying to be their childs friends or buddies and not being a parent. They don't get that their job is to raise their kids to be decent adults. People posting so fast and not spelling right or not making any sense, once in a while is reasonable but, some all the time. Lots more also.
    Sometimes it cause the kid isn't getting what they want... which yeah, let them cry... but still find something to shut them up!

I saw something that was disturbing though... this baby was in the cart but not in a car seat... this little one was flailing all over the place! It was so sad... I wanted to smack the parents. The child was barely old enough to be sitting up.
    Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
    Power Poster

I have another one....ladies at the perfume counters pestering me to try this and that when I walk by.

I fast pace it because of my alergies to the stuff!
    Old 01-28-2010, 03:59 PM

My biggest pet peeve is...

People who think Jethro Tull is a just a person in the band.
    Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    Originally Posted by QBeth
    Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Mine is hearing Massachusetts, and February mispronounced, and when someone says 7am in the morning. 7am IS in the morning.

"Febooary"??? But, I'm at a loss on how someone could mispronounce Massachusetts (I was born there). "Massa CHUS utts"?? You should hear people who try to pronounce Worcester as "Wore chester"! We forgive visitors but local newscasters should really know how to pronounce surrounding town names. It is "Wooster." Don't ask me why, it just is. I'm sure folks in other parts of the country that have local names derived/based on American Indian names have the same problem.

As for quilting PPs, I create my own. As in, I'm now ready to start sewing something that has a deadline only to find that my machine, which was working perfectly a week ago, is having hiccups. Errrrrrr!! It wouldn't be so bad except I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm the one who is doing something wrong, not the machine!
    Mispronouncing names here is how we know news,traffic, ad people are not from this area.

I am with you on the second one also, be it sew machine or computer, or new digital camera.
    Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gaijin
    How about some pet peeves from here in Japan?

-Sitting on the train between two older men who just put out cigarettes and smell like ashtrays. I bring filtering masks in my purse just for this purpose.
    I love this! Do people commonly use filtering masks to filter out smoke? I no longer regularly take the train, but when I am in a situation where someone is reeking of smoke, I get up and move. And if they think I'm rude for doing so, well, I think they're ruder for exhaling the smoke from their lungs into my airspace. (And this can go on for quite a long time after they actually took their last puff.)

Gaijin, I really liked all the rest of your post, too.
    Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    I have another one....ladies at the perfume counters pestering me to try this and that when I walk by.

I fast pace it because of my alergies to the stuff!
    I have the same problem. But I also hate being accosted by people wanting to sell me things. Major peeve!