Little dog SYNDROM

Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
The solution to her jumping would depend somewhat on WHY she is jumping at you. Is she doing it aggressively? or is she just thrilled to death to see you and is trying to get near your face to tell you so?

I totally agree with DogHouseMom. I have never had an alpha dog. My alphas have always been bitches-and I too am top alpha in my house! My boys and girls NEVER fight-the boys always say "So very sorry I looked in your direction" and turn away. You have a good boy!
don't get me started on what she does when she is happy to see me..especially at 6:30 in the morning when I open the crate..heheh
she does this whirling, twirling yiping, squeeking, jumping thing..all the way to the back door...so much energy....

as for jumping AT me..yes..all of the above. I get the whole bend down I want to kiss you thing, but she jumps AT me more if I am paying attention to the other dogs...she barks and at them and jumps at me...

tonight I took her for a walk..just the two of us...amazing how differently she behaves...she actually listens and knows who is boss...usually she just turns her head and plays DEAF..the way doxies tend to do...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
......ok..so let her be top dog, but how do I stop the constant jumping up AT me??? she has been here 2months now and is just over a year old..can I toss her on her backside and show her I am TOP dog now???
Instead of "tossing" try a sharp sound such a "aht"!, very gutteral, or a loud SSSTTTT! and step toward her when she tries to jump up at you. She will have to back up and that sets her into a brain change that makes her rethink what's happening.

That sound is a natural animal thing -- like a cat's hiss -- that's a warning. It's establishes "my space", or "back off". You'll have to do it consistently, over and over, until she get it. After she approaches you appropriately, you can 'love on her', but each time she agresses you have to "warn."

You can do this with her actions to the other pets, too, if her actions are problematic. Ssssttt at her, move toward her til she moves away and then move her into a sitting or other submissive position with just your sound and movement. Then praise her when she responds. She will eventually learn it's more fun to submit than agress and be offensive.

Jan in VA
interesting...making notes here....she really was not this forward when she got here..but her other petmates were all really large dogs...as in Anatolian and Shepherds....here the dogs are not so overly large and she can get in their faces!
harley lets her do it for just so long and then puts her in her place and walks away from her..it is interesting to watch him..now our older male..just ignores completely....but he ignores Harley too..ehehe he is nearly 12 now and KNOWS he is the top dog in mom's heart...hehehe
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

There are two ways to get her to quit jumping. You can take some pebbles and put them in a pop can and tape the hole shut. Hide it behind your back and when she jumps shake it sharply but don't let her see it. She will back off.

The Dog Whisperer way is more complex. I have seen him deal with this several times.

One way is to step into her and back her up. She has to give way and that will signal that you are in charge. This works with my pointer but she still tries it again.

When your doxie jumped up and took over pull her off of the couch or chair and make her stay off. Hand signals work well for me. I use the flat of my hand and use it like a stop sign in their face. With a firm low toned No! Don't yell just be firm.

he says alot of time when a dog is being snippy and pushy and bitey they are scared. If you take control and tell her what she can and can't do then she will feel protected. She is probably jealous and unsure of her place in your house.

Yes they will work out a pack hierarchy but you have to be the leader and a leader doesn't just let them work it out on their own. The leader tells them when they are out of line.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Both your doxies are beautiful. But as you can see, I am partial.

Gracie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266501[/ATTACH]

Joey
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266505[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266448.jpe   attachment-266452.jpe  
Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 PM

Your story just made me laugh! I have two dachies and they are a handful! All dachies will train you if your not careful. My female trys to get my husband to pick her up and give her kisses before he kisses me when he comes home at night. I said "NO WAY" I'm the head bitch here!! So he kisses me and then picks her up and kisses her and then picks up our male dachie and kisses him. Its a whole process we go through every day. It funny its just everyone needs to feel special.
I give the dachies night night kisses also on their heads. My male can take them or leave them but my female will cry until I give her night night kisses. I think its sweet. :-)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM

Poor Harley, he's looking at you like "get this thing away from me".
Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Yep gotta show them u r top dog and u control her behavior I love doxies!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
Maybe the Dog Whisperer has a solution for you...
Definitely read Cesar Milan books and watch his shows. Most important lesson: YOU are the top dog and it's your responsibility to keep the pack in order. (Easier said than done?)
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 AM

Maybe you should call Cesar Milan. Actually, he has a very good website.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 AM

i have an evil "jacked up beagle" (mix) female. and a very timid older male jack. She hates all animals but her pretty little self.

it is a real job controlling her.. the problem with the training on the leash,is they even so much see me go where they are kept..they get all excited,thinking they are going for a walk, lol

i have learned a lot watching ceasars show...

i do use the "tssssss" loudly..and that works.