Location in Hiding

Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Well, there are a lot of good comments pro and con. I love to travel and when someone talks about a quilt shop or the barns with the quilt blocks on them being near them, I like to see where they are located and even follow the websites they list. I haven't been able to travel for a while due to health issues with hubby having surgeries. I understand stalking problems and scams. We had a charge on the credit card for someone in NY and it was scary that they used our credit card, but we got that taken care of. We do a lot of genealogy and when you do genealogy, it takes you to other areas of the US and other countries. This is done mostly on the computer and it's just fasinating to find places where your ancestors lived. My grandson was born in NC and I like to see if there are others in that area (born in Sylva, lived in Cullowhee) that I grew to love. I've always been fasinated with the Appalachian area and love the Amish culture and of course, I love lighthouses and beaches. So it's not a matter of I have to know where you are from, it's just that I love geography, genealogy, travel, etc and believe it or not, I am a very private person myself. So if you want to be in hiding that's fine with me, I am not wanting to stalk or whatever, I like to know different environments and the way of life where others live.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Because of my experience, I really don't think it's that they don't want anyone to know where they live. I truly could not figure out why my little square said "in hiding" when I first signed up. I don't know whether I asked the board or someone just told me but I had not filled out the part of the profile that says where you live. I then filled it out and now I'm not in hiding anymore. If someone doesn't want to fill out that info, so what? I enjoy seeing where people are from, too, especially I like to see those who live near me. But, if for any reason, someone does not want to put their state, that doesn't bother me at all.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Well now that we are truly an international board, you could at least put which COUNTRY you are in - surely that is sufficiently anonymous.
I completely with this. It makes me happy to read msgs. from people from other countries. Makes me realize how we all speak a common language. "Quilting".
Old 09-10-2011, 09:58 AM

I was on here for quite a while before I even noticed it said "in hiding". And then a while longer before I figured out how to change it. LOL
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I was on here for quite a while before I even noticed it said "in hiding". And then a while longer before I figured out how to change it. LOL
You were/are not alone!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 PM

I wish I had known how open the info is when I setup my membership. I would have used a username other than my real name. After reading this thread I did a goggle search on my username (my realname) and except for my age and interests all the info could be found in the phone book. I do like to know where people are when they talk about the weather and other things related to their location, especially if they are in my state.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 PM

They have all these search places, one is spokeo or some silly name, and it give info on your name, family members, income, address, etc. I looked at mine and laughed. You can ask to have it removed. No...let's just leave all that misinformation out there.

What did annoy me recently was a call to our house from some group wanting to talk to the person in the house that was a diabetic patient. Neither of us are, but I am wondering was this a fishing deal, or did our insurance company, our doctor or the blood lab pass on info that one of us was tested for diabetes? That is supposed to be PRIVATE information.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Maybe they arn't proud or like the place they are in. As for me I love indiana & the usa
Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Swap Hosts

They know you will hunt them down and raid their stash!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM

I don't really pay that much attention to it, I will look at the ID, just curious to see where everyone is from. To me it doesn't matter if I know what city your in or if your in hiding. I understand that there are things that some want to keep private and thats fine I just enjoy the company of everyone.