Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you >
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you

• Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 AM

A very nice blog page! My husband and I have been married 42 yrs this past July and I know times have changed where marriages are not standing up. I grew up with parents that struggled and stayed together celebrated 52 yrs together before my mothers passing. My husbands parents as well were married nearly as long before first ones passing and the other. But many in the family, siblings, cousins, friends have not been so blessed and divorce seems to be a common thing. I do hope that some will find inspiration from others who have stuck it out through good and bad times and cement their marriages with a bond that keeps on sticking.

Good luck to all those young and older couples out there starting out or finding challenging times within their lifes.

Blessings,
    Sharon
    Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    My parents were married 66 years, my hubby's parents were married 63. My DH and I have been married almost 3 years, ( I was widowed after 34 years, and he was divorced over 15 years before we met.) Wonderful story, but too long to tell. Right now he is very ill, and I am really scared that he is fighting for his life. Please add us to your prayers,
    will certainly add him.
    Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 AM

My hubby and I have been married going on 33 yrs in Nov...I tell my married children that it's hard work to keep a marriage healthy and happy..But well worth the effort. They need to be aware of the ruts that can form and be ready to shave them off and make sure that all the paths lead to the same place..
    Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    DH and I have been married 19 years this month (of course, I was 6 when we married, lol. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) I think too many folks fall for the old fairy tale -- "It was love at first sight and they lived happily ever after." I'd tell anyone considering getting married two important facts:
    1) Marriage is work. If you aren't willing to put in the work of communicating, seeing things from the other person's point of view, compromising, setting goals and respecting your mate, then get a puppy but don't get married.
    2) Look deep before you leap. If you don't know your partner's goals, hopes, morals, beliefs, views on children, views on money, etc. you better find out before you go down that aisle. If your partner is a disrespectful, controlling jerk when you're dating, it ain't gonna get better once there's a ring on the finger.
    I have been reading this post with great interest, yet another reason why I like this board. I strongly agree with this poster. Look before you leap and all these reasons why are excellent. So many times I hear "I can fix him/her later"
    One thing I learned over the years; (1)Communication, by far the most important, if something is bothering you about your mate then for heavens sake talk about it.
    (2) If she is angry about something (usually involves me) just give her space don't try and fix it at that moment, just makes things worse no matter how good your intentions are . (3)Another thing (and this is for you guys) If mother and daughter are arguing do not and I repeat do not get involved, you will all of a sudden become the common enemy. If they ask for your opinion just give some non committal answer and then get out of Dodge.
    One thing my DW had trouble with is that sometimes I just like to be left alone. I know this is hard to understand but I do. We all need our own space from time to time. I had just purchased a 1993 Cavalier Convertible for 500 dollars in a junk yard so when she went to Mexico I took 2 week camping road trip to Tennessee. I dropped her off at Philly then headed to Memphis just going at my own pace. All though I missed her deeply, I had a great time just being with nature. When I picked her up we then headed on a road trip to Delaware and had a wonderful time together. I have been married to my wife (Nursie76) for 34 years. It has been and still is a fantastic voyage. Now if I can just understand this quilting addiction thing :-)
    Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
    Well said, Ramona!

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    For newly married couples, and those who are planning on it.

ADIVCE ==Marriage is NOT everyone giving 50 percent in the marriage, it is BOTH of you giving ONE HUNDRED percent to this
    important and life long union. Life is hard, with unexpected stumbles and some lean years and maybe health issues for one or
    both, but with God's help and lots of love, you will make it for a life time of love with that special person.
    DITTO
    Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 AM

August 27 was our 31st anniversary. We have both been married previously and know what hard work it can be to make a marriage work. There have been good times and bad through the years but we know how bad it can be when you give up. Respect for each other, communication and friendship make a marriage so much better between husband and wife. It is how we have made ours work and the love we feel for each other grows with each passing year.
    Old 08-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Hi, great to hear from a newly wed. My husband and I met in
    Nov. of 1957, got engaged in Feb. 1958, and married in Aug,
    1958. He was 19, and I had just turned 16, ( June ). Everyone said it wouldn't work, we were to young, it may not, we are still working on it after 52, years, who knows!

My husband says when asked what the secret is," you need to marry your best friend."
    Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Don't you just love the number 13 ? we were wed on Aug. 13, celebrated our 13th, anniversary on Fri. 13, and are now wed
    52, years.

Who decided 13, was unlucky?
    Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 AM

DH and I have been married 47 yrs. last June 22. He is my best friend and I am his too. It has not always been easy raising 3 daughters and being married. We always managed to work things out. We have 3 DGS and 1 DGD. Somehow our daughters did not follow in our footsteps. Our oldest has a boy and a girl and has been divorced. The middle one has had 3 long term relationships and never married and no kids. The youngest has been divorced 3 times and has 2 boys and a fiance. I told her try living together this time and make sure everything works out. This time I give her lots of advice even if she does not ask. We love her fiance, and he has been married once and no kids. It will not be easy with a 9 yr old and 11 yr old.

This is a wonderful thread. Brought tears to my eyes.

Happy Anniversary to all!!!!

My prayers are with those having marriage and health problems. May God Bless Everyone of You.
    Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 AM

the poor/hard times are really the GOOD TIMES when you

are with your best friend and the one you love !!