Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you >
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you

• Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM

WOW! just wow. I am left speechless.

All of these wonderful stories. I love hearing everyone of them.
    This thread should be printed and handed to every couple about to get married.

You guys truly are an inspiration.

Please share more!
    Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 AM
    Power Poster

Some years and some days are/were better than others.

Our kids are still amazed that we are still together.

(50 years worth)
    Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 AM

Been married almost 38 years. Hard times, sure! Good times, You bet!

Love each other, respect your differences. Never go to bed angry at each other. Forgive and move on!

Put God in the center and everything will work out fine.

We were never able to have children, but we had "children", I have baby sat almost every neighbor kid as we have lived in the same house for almost 34 years. Loved them all as my own. Still gets hugs from them many, many years later, when we see them.

Life has it's ups and downs, but never give up.
    Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
    Power Poster

We have been married 34 years. Nobody said that marriage would be easy. We too have had our ups and downs but worked through them.
    Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
    I just keep thinking, "some days you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug" .
    That quote is so true to make a good and lasting marriage. We married in 1955, way back in the mid 20th century, I just turned 19 and DH was 21 and we both 'grew up' together learning how to stay together through thick and thin and 3 children. Interesting subject today as we're preparing for our granddaughter's wedding next weekend. Hope the young couple are married forever. May in Jersey.
    Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Nice post! Hubby and I were married 31 years ago yesterday. Not bad for getting married 6 weeks after our first date! Looking back, no wonder my dad was so upset! LOL When my kids were teens, they mentioned that all their friends parents were divorced and thought it strange that we weren't. Funny how it is now.
    Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM

This thread is so great... DH and I have been together for 35 years (will have our 31st anniv this October) - Marriage is very hard - We did separate back in 1994, but that only lasted 3 days - my heart actually broke (the weirdest feeling I have ever felt, and very hard to explain) when he stated he got him a place to stay. Nobody in family or any of our friends through all these years thought we would still be married. Not easy, but I also now say that I gave my vow to GOD, which I did. My DMIL once told me that "you must work it out" during one of our bad times. And she was right. I am still fighting to keep my marriage together. No one ever stated life was easy and marriage is even harder, but if both try hard and believe in each other it can last forever. I have proof of it with my parents and mother's parents and DH's parents, grandparents on both sides. I love my DH very much and I know he loves me cuz he tells me everyday. For all you young ones, just remember its hard but worth every effort you put into it as long as there is no physical abuse in the marriage it can last forever. Okay I am done talking... :)
    Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
    Nice post! Hubby and I were married 31 years ago yesterday. Not bad for getting married 6 weeks after our first date! Looking back, no wonder my dad was so upset! LOL When my kids were teens, they mentioned that all their friends parents were divorced and thought it strange that we weren't. Funny how it is now.
    Hehe I thought I was the only one that was crazy

We met late June. We got engaged July 4th and we were married August 4th lol
    All in all about 6 weeks.
    Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Hehe I thought I was the only one that was crazy

We met late June. We got engaged July 4th and we were married August 4th lol
    All in all about 6 weeks.
    At least I'm not the only one! LOL Oh, and I forgot to mention, our first date was a Friday the 13th!
    Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 PM
    Power Poster

Same with my kids. They are all grown now but they have all said they admire our dedication. :)