Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you >
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you

• Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 PM

hubby and i have been married for 29 yrs come sept 27th .i was 26 and my husband 41 whne we maried.may thought t wouldnt work but we have 2 wonderful.respectful children a boy and a girl who are wtill married to their first spouse.reminds me of a story i heard many years ago...
    a lady reporter was interviewing a wife of a couple who had been married fifty years.she wanted to know what the secret was to being married so long.the wife said-in the beginning of our marriage i decided to make a list of things about my husband that drove me crazy,but for the sake of our marriage i would overlook-the reposrted then asked what was on the list-the wife said-i never got around to making that list-but ever time the husband would drive me crazy i'd say he's darn lucky that's on the list! ;)
    Old 08-27-2010, 02:45 AM

my husband and i have been married 43 yrs and coming up soon on 44, a lot of ups and downs but we have made it
    Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 AM

also i forgot to mention i was 16 and he was 19 when we got married and we have endured
    Old 08-27-2010, 03:13 AM

coming up to #54..praying and hoping for lots more...........
    Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 AM

Wow! What a great thread! My husband and I have been married 33 years. Some rough years but we are still together. I worry about when he retires and will be home all the time. (He is currently a truck driver) I have to depend on myself most of the time I worry when he will be home that there will be a contest of wills. After reading some of the post I must remember to put it in God's hands and he will smooth all things out.

Nettie
    Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nettie
    Wow! What a great thread! My husband and I have been married 33 years. Some rough years but we are still together. I worry about when he retires and will be home all the time. (He is currently a truck driver) I have to depend on myself most of the time I worry when he will be home that there will be a contest of wills. After reading some of the post I must remember to put it in God's hands and he will smooth all things out.

Nettie
    Hubby has been retired since '85 and I, since '89.......we both have lots of things that we do together..but we both definitely have our individual amusements (like my quilting).

I think that that is very important.......togetherness is great but one has to have their own time also.

Hobbies are a must, I think, for retirement.......regardless of what kind.
    Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 AM

MY husband and I were ages 16 and 17 when we married,My Dad was thinking my husband would not amount to much.He worked many jobs and monnlighted to get what we needed like food and other essentials.We were married 57 years in June.My husband passed the first of this month.We knew many couples in our area that celebrated 60 years or more.
    I miss him so much but many happy times together.
    Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 AM

Been there done that. 45 years ago, hubby #1 chose to step out and have a child outside of marriage. For me that was a deal breaker. Plus when I found out, he blamed me and shoved me against the wall and hit me. Another deal breaker. Back then if you were divorced, oh my. He threatened to kill me and I reminded him who was the better shot. (I was raised in a hunting family, we shot what we ate) A couple years later I remarried to the most wonderful guy a person would ever want. 43 years coming up and we are still crazy about each other. By the way, #1 is on his 5th wife. His relatives live close to me and still claim me as a relative. Humm maybe it WASN'T me? If at all possible hang in there and make it work, if cheating and violence are involved, get out and make a new life.
    Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by sherrill
    MY husband and I were ages 16 and 17 when we married,My Dad was thinking my husband would not amount to much.He worked many jobs and monnlighted to get what we needed like food and other essentials.We were married 57 years in June.My husband passed the first of this month.We knew many couples in our area that celebrated 60 years or more.
    I miss him so much but many happy times together.
    Sherill, 57 years, wow! So sorry for your recent loss. I know that the missing is still intense, but as you say, you had many happy times together....it is those memories that will get you through this difficult time. Prayers for peace and strength are going up and {{{HUGS}}}
    Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 AM

There is one thing that I have observed over the years. Divorce can be contagious. If one set of friends gets a divorce, you can almost plan on another set splitting. From the outside it looks so easy and painless when in actuality, for me at least, it would be harder than a death.