Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!! >
  • Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

• Looking for A Nice Community to Move To - Must Have Quilters!!!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM

I live in Vail AZ and have NOT seen a snake!! Lived in Miami, saw a snake there!! So beware they are everywhere. Good luck on your search, I'm sure you'll find some new quilting friends
    Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM
    yel

how about paducha kentucky ....at least it is on the right side of the mississippi ....
    Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I doubt she'd like our hot Texas summers and certainly not the current drought conditions.
    Sharon
    Sharon, I've heard we're only in "severe drought" condition now. Things are improving!
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor
    I am quite fond of Ohio. Very few tornadoes, no hurricanes, we do have snow in the north area, but mild (?). Lots of quilt shops and a major fabric stores and craft shops. I live about 40 minutes from several very large communities of Amish. Fabric and quilts everywhere. We have both "city" living and "country" living. Sometimes only miles from each other. I live less that than 3 miles form 4 major highways yet, I can go 4 miles east or south of me and find farms. Snakes? Well I have not personally seen any, except for garden snakes, and those in the zoo. Good luck in your search. Wherever you go, as long as you are with the one you love, you will be home.
    I AGREE I'm from North Central Ohio------We have it all --we do have some snow--but it makes for a Merry Christmas-----the best location in the nation-----our water comes from the great lakes--no water shortage here
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:23 AM

I live in the northeast part of Atlanta. One great quilt shop close by, many more within the area. WalMart has fabric, but Hancock's, JoAnn and Hobby Lobby are close by. There are snakes but this is the South! Atlanta is not known for tornado damage, though we occasionally get one. Hurricanes not an issue with the coast 300 miles away. Houses are nice and reasonably priced in my area; many quilt guilds so you'd have to find one that meets your taste. Several mega-quilt-shows a year.....Glad to give you more info if you PM me or check out Tucker GA online. Note: Tucker has two counties; DeKalb is higher priced (homes, that is) than Gwinnett. Try Lilburn as well. Or Parkview HS area. Huge price range and differing ages, etc of homes. Dog friendly, low crime rates. I love it here BUT have always wanted to live at the beach so 8 years til I retire to the Myrtle Beach SC area.
    Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 AM

that is a big decision to make and ... why not?
    It just happened that circumstances bring you there and as you say, why not move on... this is an opportunity and it does not have to be THE last decision you will be making. I like your idea of trying an RV for awhile and get the feel of where you would like to buy

Also, Renting a house or an appartment for a year or two and see

I moved a lot because of professional requirements and I find that it took me close to a year to find that a "house" becomes a "home"
    I really agree with Bneighbor "Wherever you go, as long as you are with the one you love, you will be home"
    being close to family and/or friends is a big +
    Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 AM

You are a lady after my own heart - NO SNAKES. I have a completely unrational, ridiculous fear of them. The old saying "they're more scared of you than you are of them". That would be impossible. I've been told the only state in the union that states don't reside in is Alaska; so much for being temperant.

On a serious note, a very close friend of mine moved to Johnson City, TN about 3 years ago. Gorgeous area in the mountains. I understand there is some snow but not in an obnoxious way. We visited this spring and we have never encountered more friendly. Good hospitals, shopping, nice cultural events. I visited two quilt shops and a Hancock Fabrics. It's at least worth visiting on a vacation. Good luck in your search.
    Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by nivosum
    Good luck avoiding snakes in the United States. I think I heard England doesn't have them.
    No snakes in WA state west of the Cascade Mountain Range. That includes Seattle. If you can stand the grey winters, go for it. Rarely needed a winter coat there.
    Old 09-08-2013, 06:04 AM

I can't afford the move but my choice is 'SAN DIEGO'. Or the 'Golden Triangle'- Reliegh, Durum, Chapel Hill, NC.
    Old 09-08-2013, 06:04 AM

sounds like Hawaii is where you want to go...but...who can afford THAT??? Best of luck in you decision. I live in El Paso Texas....we have none of the weather problems of other cities of late...but lots of heat and high property taxes. There is a season of blowing wind and sand. I have never seen a snake here, but I don't venture out into the desert either. Lots of quilters, lots of Catholic churches. It is such a big decision to make and one that is normally made for us due to work or family. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on your decision! Michelle