Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Looking for warmer weather. >
  • Looking for warmer weather.

• Looking for warmer weather.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM

I don't know about the local prices on housing in Temple or Killeen but it will be infinitely cheaper than anything in NY state.

I have a friend who is a real estate agent. She can probably refer you to a local agent there. Just PM me if you are interested.

EDIT - OH! Just double-checked on the map. You will be in the middle between Dallas-Fort Worth and to Austin to enjoy some of the events & places without the headache of living there.
    **just get to used to driving. "That's only 2 hrs away; that's not far at all" :P
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM
    Power Poster

Sadly upstate New York is taxed to death and the economy is just horrible. My Mom and brother still live there. In Columbus we don't get all the snow but it's not like Florida or Arizona lol
    I love the seasons though, don't think I could live where there there aren't 4.
    And I think upstate is one of the most beautiful parts of the country.
    Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM

I've visited Killeen several times. My SIL was stationed at Ft. Hood, and daughter teaches second grade right outside it in Killeen.

One of the strangest things I've noticed about Killeen, is that the whole town seems to be made of bricks, houses and all. SIL says it's good because you don't have to keep painting it!

When there in the summer, it was hot and windy, rained a lot but was told this was unusual, and was there this last March and raining most of the time. And my kids had no hesitation in driving over half the state to get to different book and craft stores, but others might want to stay closer to home, and there are many stores within easy driving distance there, because of the large amount of military families.

I would suggest that you arrange to visit both of these places, at different times of the year. And when there, do as I've told my kids to do, beg, borrow or buy a police band radio. Then listen to the police calls and write down the addresses or areas.
    In my town, one of the prettiest to drive past has the worst reputation for constant police calls. And do go to the police department and ask them for suggestions.

Good luck on finding a new home.
    Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM

I have a friend who moved to the area 3 years ago. I could ask her to email you if you'd like. There are probably a lot of houses for sale as there are elsewhere. This is a buyers' market for sure.
    Google Killeen and look at real estate.
    Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 PM

I live in Dallas, Tx and we definitely had warmer weather this summer at 106 degree and it is still up in the 90's some days. I hear real estate is kind of slow. I think real estate is lower than New York on prices.
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 PM

I can't help you with the Texas real estate, but I understand why you want to leave Upstate NY. I grew up near Binghamton, went to college in Potsdam, and then lived in Utica for 18 years. I'm now in AZ and loving it - no snow, no lawn to mow, no leaves to rake and the sun shines pretty much every day!