Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by pgthom
Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
How about macrame. I did a lot of it in the '70s.
Another thing you don't see anymore (not crafting related) is clothes hung outside on a line to dry. Mom didn't have a dryer, so everything got hung outside. I remember bring them in in the winter, and they'd be stiff as a board.
Nothing better than several lines of cloth diapers freeze dried on the cloths line in winter!! And they bleached out so nice from that!
Hi Donna: Was up in your neighborhood a week ago. DH and I volunteered as light house keepers in Cheyboygan at the front range light. Had dinner one evening with neighbors of yours, owners of Knaebe Orchards. Any chance you know them?

We met at Rosa's. Yum! After I ate my fill, there was enough left for DH and I for lunch the next day! Weather was glorious while we were there!

Found "The Fabric Stash" in Cheyboygan to be worth a visit if you haven't been there. Very nice owner and staff. Tell them "the light house lady from Kalamazoo says Hi". Oh, and the Big Dipper is a great old fashioned ice cream parlor. Penny in K'zoo.
Penny, Ed Knaebe is one of my dads best friends! Ed used to own a plane and my Dad, Uncle and Doc as we call Him (He is a retired Dentist) flew to Alaska. WE eat at Rosa's every Once in a while, Know the owners there too!!
Wish I had know you were here I would have loved to join you!!
I am making some things to show Dusty, Ed's wife to sell in their shop this fall!! Bow tucks bags and aprons. They only live about 5 miles from me!! Such a small world!! I will have to ask Dusty about your visit!!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Another memory: Did your grandmother or mother collect Jewell-T serving dishes--cream color background, with heart shaped buds with brown, rosy pink, dark green leaves, orange and gold colors of the 1930s! I have had some reproduction pieces (one a commerative teapot with matching salt and pepper, 2002) while two sisters collected authenic pieces for a time. What about Watkins vanilla, sold through traveling sales representative? I would love to get another Fuller hair brush, sold the same way.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doris Sumnicht
Another memory: Did your grandmother or mother collect Jewell-T serving dishes--cream color background, with heart shaped buds with brown, rosy pink, dark green leaves, orange and gold colors of the 1930s! I have had some reproduction pieces (one a commerative teapot with matching salt and pepper, 2002) while two sisters collected authenic pieces for a time. What about Watkins vanilla, sold through traveling sales representative? I would love to get another Fuller hair brush, sold the same way.
My mom used to sell Stanley products, I remember the Jewel T man coming to the house too!!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm grateful to my mother for teaching me to iron a man's dress shirt (not that I ever do it, but I helped my son iron his shirt for his prom). My father was a career Marine and she ironed a shirt or two for him. She also taught me to cut up a whole chicken for frying. I wonder how many people still do that and how many know how.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
But what really has me reminiscing is the old mimeograph copies. Somewhere I still have a recipe to make a pan of jelly stuff that will hold ink long enough to press multiple sheets against it so you can have copies of whatever. Now, with computers/printers and photocopiers, putting the time and effort into that would be ridiculous.

What other arts have been lost to technology?
Oh, how I loved the smell of fresh mimeographed copies! :)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Quilling. Called quilling because nuns used a feather quill to twirl strips of paper and make the various shapes used in the design. Sometimes now referred to as paper filigree. This is a cross I made for my mom.
[IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...acation016.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Remember when it was "waste not, want not" and we found a craft use for anything - even the lint in your dryer could be used for something!

Anyone remember Pack-O-Fun booklets, I bought a bunch of these at a flea market in Yakima, WA a couple years back, just couldn't resist.

On the Leader's page one gal wrote in....can you suggest some uses for milk bottle caps? The Leader suggested the...discs can be strung for Indian belts, necklaces and headbands; decorated for party favors and award buttons; or used for counters in games, play money or wheels.

Now that's using (taxing) your imagination!

The May 1958 Edition, . 20 a Copy, $1.50 for 1 yr. Subscription
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71913[/ATTACH]

You Can Always Find Some Rocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71914[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71908.jpe   attachment-71909.jpe  
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM

It seems these days all the crafts come prepackaged and are very pricey! I always enjoyed doing things with every day items. My hubby and I still look at things and say...what else could you use this for!!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
Originally Posted by b.zang
Reading the post about playdoh started me thinking about all the things we used to do and make, like playdoh for the kids.
But what really has me reminiscing is the old mimeograph copies. Somewhere I still have a recipe to make a pan of jelly stuff that will hold ink long enough to press multiple sheets against it so you can have copies of whatever. Now, with computers/printers and photocopiers, putting the time and effort into that would be ridiculous.

What other arts have been lost to technology?
Wow, what a wonderful school memory mimeograph copies brings back. I loved the smell of them when they were "fresh of the press" so to speak. Even today, I can still remember the fragrance. Maybe some candle company can re-capture the scent, along with apples, chalk, and sunshine and call it School Daze. I would buy it! Thanks for bringing back the memory.

As for lost arts (and crafts), I can't think of any, except maybe tatting or lace making. Some people still do them though.
Demeter Fragrance Company makes a Play Doh scented fragrance. So dead on it throws me right back to childhood! :)
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM

My DD had Home EC in high school and luckily the teacher was also a quilter and she asked the girls if they wanted to make clothes or quilts and the girls said "quilts" - so my DD has made 3 quilt tops in Home EC during high school. I had the first one machine quilted and she took it to her college dorm. I had the other two machine quilted and gave them to her at two different wedding showers she had. She was so surprised. I figured that a newlywed would not have the money to spend on machine quilting.