Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Lost our SPRING here in Oklahoma >
  • Lost our SPRING here in Oklahoma

• Lost our SPRING here in Oklahoma

Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by BMP
    When I worked I used to cook like that for the week. I also found that browning up some ground meat with onion /peppers, or plain and freezing in meal size portions worked to make a quick spaghetti sauce , chili, goulash sort of things too.
    when I was single mom I did this too, I bought in bulk when the support check came and would brown 10#'s up and bag it in 1/2# servings..yes, I weighed it all....I did the same with a large pot roast, a large hen, and some round steak...then I could stir fry, tacos, hamburger helper, you name it...really was a life saver...not sure why we just don't do it that way all the time...really saves money because you are not tempted to go out when you can make a good meal in less than 30 minutes!

I learned veggie prep while working at the base galley...I don't do it any more because only 2 of us here and I can not eat but 1oz of veggies at a meal, so that is like 3 brussel sprouts..hehehe
    I just steam what we need each night!
    Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 AM

Ok ladies, I'm sitting here reading this and my mouth is watering!! What is Machaca beef and how do you make it?:)
    Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 AM

Yummm....I can smell it here :!: :!:
    Old 03-27-2011, 06:00 AM
    Power Poster

I bet your house smells good! SO cold here too!!!!!!!
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Ok ladies, I'm sitting here reading this and my mouth is watering!! What is Machaca beef and how do you make it?:)
    I am going to post the recipe in the recipe section..stay tuned...
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I am going to post the recipe in the recipe section..stay tuned...
    Thank you!
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 AM

Wow! I like this idea will have to give it a try! Aside from not liking to cook ( I used to enjoy it now I am just tired of it) I really do not like having to figure out everyday what I am going to make for dinner. Asking DH what he wants for dinner does not even help the answer is always the same " I don't care" then when I tell him what I am going to make he says that isn't what he feels like having, but can he tell me what he feels like......NO.
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
    Wow! I like this idea will have to give it a try! Aside from not liking to cook ( I used to enjoy it now I am just tired of it) I really do not like having to figure out everyday what I am going to make for dinner. Asking DH what he wants for dinner does not even help the answer is always the same " I don't care" then when I tell him what I am going to make he says that isn't what he feels like having, but can he tell me what he feels like......NO.
    HAHAH..this is so familiar...so, no more wondering...and if I am not hungry, he can make something for himself.
    I have a lapband, so eating is not always a priority for me...and I am getting where I hate the thought of cooking just for him..you know, MR. I don't care...well, now "I" don't care and he can make do....
    cooking this way means he has choices, and if I am cooking it lightens my time spent in there every day...I know I have to stop working at 4:30 to have dinner done by 5...if I am going to need to ADD, I usually prep things at my lunch break so they are ready to go at 4:30! and If I have a meeting that night, I leave him a note and he fixes it himself...
    Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM
    Banned

here is the link to the machaca beef recipes

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111131-1.htm

and here is the cream of mushroom/barley soup

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102086-1.htm
    Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    so, since it is just a dreary, drizzly COLD day, I am spending it in the kitchen cooking for the week!
    I have one crockpot with beef roast in it to make Machaca beef for enchiladas, one crock pot with a backing hen roasting with fresh rosemary and white wine, I have mushroom & barley soup going on the stove, pork ribs out on the smoker, strawberries soaking in sugar for shortcakes tonight and a ham/spinache quiche in the oven!

whew...smells crazy in there right now...

off to start some seeds, for when it does get SPRING again..not this week though..cold all week...darn it...
    Wow! I'm coming to your house! I'm only a couple of hours from you. I'm tired of the cold weather too but it's keeping me inside so maybe I'll doing some sewing. I even wore capris yesterday - and it was cold! I just keep thinking it might get warm again.