Mac vs PC

Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM

I have a mac too and I have Quilt-Pro 5
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Thank you krabadan! I found this software for $69.99 at All Brands. Now I need to find a way to save .pes files on my mac and I will be all set.

Have a great weekend!
Quilter711
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 AM

What software do you need to run EQ on a Mac? I thought you needed Windows or Vista for Mac.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I wish I could afford one! I trained people on Macs when working. The computer guru dept decided all of us would have to change to PCs. I went to a meeting about it. They told us it was because Macs couldn't do the BIG dollar calculations that PCs do...HAH...I took a sample of my spreadsheets (I managed a budget of almost a billion dollars on it!!!) and I had a database that rivals MONEY on PCs.....they didn't listen and made us change..I SOOOO hated that!!!!
We're looking into going into Macs next.
You need to look at Macs just the way you do low-end computerized sewing machines.... A new iMac can be bought for about $1,000. The latest Mac Connection catalog has on their cover an iMac that is twice as powerful as the one I bought last year for the low price...$1,099. Of course you can get their higher end computers but you don't really need it unless you do massive amounts of graphics... (people in the newspapers/magazines/advertising businesses). Nancy's Notions also has Convert It Mac Embroidery software for those who have embroidery machines but still want to use a Mac. The cost is about $129.
My DH, DS and I have been working with Macs since the early 1980s. My son has worked on both and given a choice (which he has) he has a Mac... it is true... once you try one, you won't go back to a PC.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM

I have to disagree on the everyone loves a Mac thing. I hate them. I've worked with them since they first hit the market and still hate them. The Mac O/S totally frustrates me. I use "the fuit" (Apples) when forced (usually by some school because they love touchy feely things). Apples have always been graphic friendly and schools like their pretty pictures.

Cost is always a consideration. IMHO they are way overpriced. I think anyone who buys anything electronic should treat it just as they would a sewing machine purchase (test drive!!!). Find out about warranty service. Are you going to be charged for upgrades to your O/S? Peripherals, what do they cost? Don't forget there are things out there that just will not work with an Apple. Look at what you already own. Will it be compatible or do you have to totally upgrade everything (printers, backup storage drives, etc). All of that is important to remember.

I'm sure I have really made people mad with this post so I'm going to get back to my data now. This is kind of like getting into a discussion with someone who uses a Bernina about the best sewing machine to use.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM

I would like to thank our Mac users Moon Holiday and krabadan for your information. You have saved me from purchasing a laptop (which I didn't want) and saved me some money. I need to purchase Quilt Pro 5 and Convert it Mac Embroidery and I am back to sewing everything with my Mac. No worries about getting a virus. Life is Good!

Quilter711
Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM

Awesome. I love a happy ending.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 PM

Any Mac Purchased today can run Windows, so a Mac can run anything a PC can run, and probably faster.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 PM

I had always had a pc but it was getting old and weak. So we got a Imac and love it. True, you can't run all the same programs you had on the pc but they are old too. My Epson printer and scanner work on my Mac just fine. We still have our old pc "just in case" so I could if I need to use it with EQ if I ever get it. I do wish that all programs were compatible with both Imac and pc's
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM

Please realize, most general public use software is going to be available to either platform (Mac or PC) but when you are getting into technical software there are issues. These are probably not something everyone needs to think about but they are valid.

Some programming is easier to be dual platform than others. Much of the time it depends on the purpose of the program. Unfortunately they do NOT all run on an IMac just like a Windows progam won't run on Linux. I have programs that are Windows programs that won't run on Windows 7. (I've lied to my computer for years to get things to run on different platforms. Some things just will not translate despite the programmer's best efforts.) When in doubt, talk to the publisher (or programmer). They can tell you more about their product than any of us can.

Can't you imagine a perfect world where every program worked on every computer? All embroidery designs used the same formats, e-readers were on a standard format ... Technology has come a long way but has so far to go. By the time this all happens, these issues will all be moot points because these devices will be obsolete. Of course, I probably won't be around to see it.