Magical Quilting?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 AM

GeckoGirl, thanks for all the good info! I will be checking out those websites!

It's not at all about what *I* believe, though, and not about religion. I don't believe in magic, for example. I'm just wondering if there is a folklore or mystical tradition of colors or shapes representing something in quilts. Specifically quilts and not in general.

What you said about infusing intention (whether it's prayer or focused thought or spellcasting) into something, though, I've heard that before. Thanks for reminding me.

I've heard about certain blocks having certain associations. The one I remember is in Jennifer Chiaverini's novels, where she talks about Wandering Foot being a bad block for a baby quilt, because it'll make the baby grow up never staying in one place for very long. I'd like to know what other blocks have special meanings.

FlyingVGoddess, thanks for the Wiccan link. I'll take a look. I wonder if the color symbolism would be the same for quilts, though?

Billy, good point about the psychological effects of color. It definitely sets a mood.

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts on color symbolism.

I am specifically interested in color and pattern symbolism as it is used in quilts.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I dunno...around here people hang bottles in the trees to "catch the bad spirits" that circle their houses....who knows???
Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I dunno...around here people hang bottles in the trees to "catch the bad spirits" that circle their houses....who knows???
Can you get pictures of that?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mom-6
Seems like different people assign different colors to the same meanings. There's a lady down the road who has purple bowling balls mounted on pedestals in front of her house "for protection" (not sure from what...lol)
Bowling pins............

Billy
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

There is a place in South Memphis thats called "Voo Doo Village" and the houses have human skulls on post and hanging in their yards. Yes they are real!

Billy
Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

OH Billy...thats just that crazy Prince Mongo who does that..... :roll: along with the toilet in his front yard.....
Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Okay - I have absolutely no opinion or advice on the whole color thing, but these have made me laugh out loud! Guess I do have an opinion - some people can find meaning (good or bad) in everything.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

OH Billy...thats just that crazy Prince Mongo who does that..... :roll: along with the toilet in his front yard.....
Good ole Robert Hodges..........I can tell you this much he isnt as crazy as he tries to make himself out to be.

Dont forget about the lawn chairs on the roof.....

Billy
Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
GeckoGirl, thanks for all the good info! I will be checking out those websites!

It's not at all about what *I* believe, though, and not about religion. I don't believe in magic, for example. I'm just wondering if there is a folklore or mystical tradition of colors or shapes representing something in quilts. Specifically quilts and not in general.

What you said about infusing intention (whether it's prayer or focused thought or spellcasting) into something, though, I've heard that before. Thanks for reminding me.

I've heard about certain blocks having certain associations. The one I remember is in Jennifer Chiaverini's novels, where she talks about Wandering Foot being a bad block for a baby quilt, because it'll make the baby grow up never staying in one place for very long. I'd like to know what other blocks have special meanings.

FlyingVGoddess, thanks for the Wiccan link. I'll take a look. I wonder if the color symbolism would be the same for quilts, though?

Billy, good point about the psychological effects of color. It definitely sets a mood.

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts on color symbolism.

I am specifically interested in color and pattern symbolism as it is used in quilts.
I've never heard of any specific magic symbolism associated with quilts. But in witchcraft most anything can be infused with color and pattern symbolism. Since the story you're reading has to do with witchcraft that's the most likely reasons for the useage in the story.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Perhaps it is just the cozy warmth of a worn quilt that causes the restful good sleep.
D in TX