Mail service

Old 05-30-2024, 01:51 PM

Default Mail service

Mail is still not improved where I live. I just got a letter from an ex-neighbor in Colorado referring to my letter I wrote her. I thought that odd but looked and her reply to me was dated January as was the Postage date stamp. January! Oh well, they got it here!! Yippee!!
She says Colorado traffic is getting bad too. Too many people! yep, and they all have to have cars!
Old 05-30-2024, 07:24 PM

We are in the planning stages for our 55th class reunion. In early May I did a snail-mail mailing to classmates that we have no email addresses for. Within a week, I had 5 returned as not deliverable as addressed. In the last two days I've gotten 3 more. They are all postmarked May 3, with return dates of the 5th and 6th. I'm curious where these letters have been, and what kind of journey they took!
Old 05-31-2024, 03:49 AM

Just in defense of the USPS. I mailed a quilt to a family member on Wednesday afternoon, two days ago, with a projected deliver of Friday, today. I got a call yesterday afternoon thanking me for the quilt. Less than 24 hour!. Amazed. On the other hand the Birthday Swap group here on the board has seen a decline in delivery service time. It is taking longer and sometimes less reliable.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:46 AM

Have you reported this? I was having problems with a lazy mail carrier. She would put my packages on top of my brick mail box. It was pretty much like putting a sign on it that said "Take Me!". She also didn't deliver some days and things were delivered really late. I finally called the postmaster and she was gone from my route and things were much better.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:15 PM

I live in a newly built subdivision in a rural area. When they began the neighborhood, the PO gave them no choice. We would have a community mailbox area with a bank of boxes, and all PO service would be there. It's a small neighborhood, and easy enough to walk or stop as we enter through the main entrance by car and get the mail, but I thought it was weird that the PO insisted they wouldn't deliver mail inside the neighborhood. The mail delivery is a joke. Constantly getting others' mail or them getting ours. When a package comes, they leave a key in your box to open a large box at the bottom of the bank for that purpose. Often the wrong key is left and the box we open is empty, or they put the key in the wrong box and someone else gets the delivery. Needless to say, I am not impressed with the PO that serves this community. And isn't the whole purpose of the PO to deliver mail to the home? Who do they think they are telling us we HAVE to get a PO Box?
Old 06-19-2024, 12:42 PM

Oh I deal with a community mailbox. once the key for my mail was put in someone else's mailbox and they opened it to see, turned out not to be theirs and left the key because only the mail delivery person can remove it. So no one let me know my mail was there waiting for me, one week later i found it said delivered!! where?? Luckily it was still there in the "very open" box! I was not happy. whom ever got the key should have delivered it. I did that with someone else's mail. oh well, I got it at least.
My slow mail delivery I think was mainly due to the sorting office near me being the culprit. It's been in the News a lot for poor management. Finally getting better service.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Most all Post Office vehicle delivery mail service is contracted to deliver. The complaints are seldom delt with if a contract has been signed. Maybe if enough complaints the contract won't be renewed.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:59 AM

I had problems when I moved, with mail not being forwarded or not delivered even if it had the right address. Found out, the local PO has a big book of addresses, even though I filled out the COA form, the "book" still had my address listed as vacant.

Got that straightened out, then I had a gift card stolen that was coming from one town away.
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

I'm one of the old fashioned pay by check folks. Some adjustments are now necessary to ensure that bills are paid on time. All outgoing mail is now directly deposited inside at the post office, ten miles away. Since the mailbox is a good quarter mile from the house and our mail could go missing, we opened a P.O. Box. We also signed up for informed delivery for both the P.O. Box and the mailbox. Mail forwarding has been a mess, and mail hold is only for a month, so having the P.O. Box helps with that. My strategy is to pay bills the day the accounts close for the month. Some utilities I pay several months' worth in advance. Lately I've been watching for checks not making it to the bank. Some go right through in five days; others take ten days.
Just slow and spotty delivery, I guess.