Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mailing fabric in manila envelopes. >
  • Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

• Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM
    Power Poster

get some white Tyvek envelopes for that. they don't tear. the post office is good about putting holes in envelopes. you've been lucky.
    Old 05-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    I use the white tyvek envelopes. They have some that are the size of a manila envelope and then others that have a pleat for extra thick items. I like them because they are very lightweight and super strong.

I have used manila envelopes in the past but I have found some of the thick manila envelopes can add an ounce or more to the weight so I changed to tyvek.
    I agree, tyvek is great.
    Where do you get these? I looked at staples and they were very expensive. I currently use the manilla ones and reinforce them with tape.
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

Ive been lucky so far too!
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

I do like the Tyvek envelopes, too - but they are considerably more expensive than the manila ones.

Some of the buyers are already balking at just the cost of postage - and so far I've been "eating" most of the cost of packaging.
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 AM

I use the white tyvek envelopes. They have some that are the size of a manila envelope and then others that have a pleat for extra thick items. I like them because they are very lightweight and super strong.

I have used manila envelopes in the past but I have found some of the thick manila envelopes can add an ounce or more to the weight so I changed to tyvek.
    I agree, tyvek is great.
    Me too.
    Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63

I agree, tyvek is great.
    Where do you get these? I looked at staples and they were very expensive. I currently use the manilla ones and reinforce them with tape.
    Go to www.usps.com. You can order them FREE from there and you can print your postage from your computer and if you ship priority mail, the mail person will pick it up on their regular route. No standing in line at the PO.
    Old 05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by merridancer

I agree, tyvek is great.
    Go to www.usps.com. You can order them FREE from there and you can print your postage from your computer and if you ship priority mail, the mail person will pick it up on their regular route. No standing in line at the PO.
    I was under the impression that the only "free" supplies available from the post office are the items that say "priority mail" or "express mail" somewhere on them.

If an item weighs 13 ounces or less, First Class Postage usually costs less than any of the Flat Rate Priority choices - and usually gets there just as fast.
    Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 AM

I bought fabric from a board member and the manila envelope was torn all apart and dirty, but the fabric was fine. I'm not sure how it didn't get torn.
    Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Originally Posted by merridancer

I agree, tyvek is great.
    I was under the impression that the only "free" supplies available from the post office are the items that say "priority mail" or "express mail" somewhere on them.

If an item weighs 13 ounces or less, First Class Postage usually costs less than any of the Flat Rate Priority choices - and usually gets there just as fast.
    True, but the packaging is free, the pick-up is free, you can print it on line, you can get confirmation of delivery free, and the tyvek is tough and very light weight. (We ship quilting supplies and fabric to Australia, Canada and the UK this way). Well worth it if you are mailing to a customer or to someone you really want to know it arrived.
    Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM

[quote=merridancer][quote=raedar63]

I agree, tyvek is great.
    I got them free at the postoffice! Should have used one when I sent some quilting notions, rulers, cutters and fabrics to a friend in Malta. That time I used one of the padded envelopes. Nothing was in it when it arrived in Malta, torn and empty. I was devastated. Somebody got $300 worth of stuff.