Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mailing fabric in manila envelopes. >
  • Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

• Mailing fabric in manila envelopes.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I have received some fabric I ordered and it was in clear plastic...held up good. I am thinking of doing that as I have access to some heavy duty plastic bags. Anyone done this?
    Old 05-21-2011, 03:45 PM

I don't think I'd put anything valuable in clear plastic myself. I do buy cheap gallon ziplocs for the inside to help and between reinforcing it, I've never had a complaint,in fact, I've gotten some tape queen comments, but that's ok, my stuff gets there. Sending overseas, I don't know. I get some of my meds in tyvek envelopes and I do reuse those also, tho pulling the labels off is a bear.
    Old 05-21-2011, 05:00 PM

I use manilla envelopes but I reinforce the back seam and all the edges with tape. I And both addresses on the front are taped with clear tape.
    Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM

I use the Manilla envelopes, but I remove the metal clasp in the back of the envelope (I have found that it catches on the mail sorters and causes the envelopes the tear.

First I plastic bag the fabric before putting in the Manilla envelope - & use packing tape (I got some a while ago that was thinner than the normal packing tape - LOVE IT - sticks better)- tape all sides & center of envelope.
    If I use a Flat Rate envelope I tape all 3 sides before packing & closing than criss cross the envelope with more tape. Fabric usually goes in several plastic bags.
    HANDLE WITH CARE - written in large lettering over back and front of envelope
    Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM

I used to use manila envelopes to send my ebay sales out in, but I have switched to the poly ones. I bought them on ebay, and they averaged (with shipping) about $.10 each. I've not received any complaints yet! I recently purchased some poly bubble wrap envelopes to ship the bags out that I sell. I paid just under $.50 (with shipping) per bag (14" x 20" ) . I have successfully sent two of these bags to Germany with no problems. I am now able to send the bags out at just under 1 pound-shipping them in the box put them into the 1-2 pound range, saving me about $4 in shipping. Oh-and taping? Don't really need to do it with the poly envelopes because that flap STICKS!
    I figured by the time the manila envelope, ziploc bag, tape and time were all added up, I was at least equal if not ahead!