Major Announcement by USPS

Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 PM

Well I hope not or there goes one of my daily walks .
Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 PM

I really miss living in a small town. In Tulsa we have two postal facilities within a 2 mile radius, BUT traffic is such a headache here, I could probably drive 40 miles in the same amount of time & use less gas too.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 PM

I heard on the news tonight that they may do away with stamps, but I didn't hear what they were going to use in place of them.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Here is a site you can check out your post office on by using your zip . http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc..._20110124.html It will tell you if your post office is closing . Yea my walk is safe .
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM

The part that never made since to me is if you have a Box you recieve mail at that is mostly secure, you pick-up, you pay for this, employee walks to the box and puts your items in it, however if you have the mail delivered, less secure, fuel/auto costs, just put out a box, register w/po and it's free to resident.
Seems just a little backwards?

OK not to be open Sat to me, and they close early enough not to get broken into.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 AM

Old lady talking here----------I remember when, at Christmastime, the mail would be delivered twice a day. The post office quit that and we lived without it! We used to get two newspapers a day. The St. Paul Pioneer Press (AM)/St. Paul Dispatch(PM) quit that and we lived without it! And now the newspapers are in trouble, because people go on line to read their news!!!!!!!

I believe so much is being done online that the post office just can't afford what they are doing now. I know that some days we get our mail at 9:00 AM and sometimes at 6:00 PM. We are not a regular route anymore. Whoever gets done with their route first, gets us! We apparently are "outside the box". And we live in a town of 286 and some thousand people!!!!!!!! So this will probably affect big towns also! We are in the middle of two postoffices, both of which are necessary, so I am not worried about them closing, I worry about the carriers and their jobs and when and if we will even get our mail. Maybe they will deliver every other day or something.

And, I am part of it. I have a deal going with our trash hauler, cable company, utilities, where they will send us our bill, we print it out and make a copy for ourselves and send the bill to them. We are credited $2.95 by our trash hauler and it costs them less to process and send the bill to us....less mail to handle for them, less mail to handle for the post office, more convenient for us. It turns out to be a horse a piece!!!!!

The times they are a'changin'! Edie
Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
The part that never made since to me is if you have a Box you recieve mail at that is mostly secure, you pick-up, you pay for this, employee walks to the box and puts your items in it, however if you have the mail delivered, less secure, fuel/auto costs, just put out a box, register w/po and it's free to resident.
Seems just a little backwards?
I agree completely, and yet I had a PO worker tell me it costs them more to put mail in the PO boxes than to deliver it. C'mon, pull the other one...
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Yes ,I know our small town PO Is scared too.They keep cutting their hours and staff. We have the Mayberry type post office, the post master knows all of his patrons and we all know him.I love living in a small town. We have one traffic light :)
We have a very busy Post Office (does a huge business for a PO with only one window and one person, and PO boxes -- route delivery comes from another PO) and 3 stop signs.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 AM

we all sound kind of confused here, no one wants their PO to close, we want delivery 6 days a week, we don't like layoffs at our local PO, and yet we don't want postage to go up either. Time to face facts, something has to give. Leaving aside arguments about whether the USPS is a top-heavy organization, it IS losing money.

I just checked the list and there are 3 PO's in VT that are closing. The one that is familiar to me, I agree it could close. There are some around here that get maybe 2-3 customers a day. What is the sense in keeping those open?

Anyway, if you want to keep your small local PO, make sure to buy all your stamps there. They get rated not on how many letters go out and come in, but on how much revenue they bring in. I try to get all my stamps at my local PO. I do draw the line at buying those dusty teddy bears though.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Doesn't it make more sense to close Wednesday rather than Saturday? It would mean that there aren't two days in a row without delivery and would allow the PO to be open on Saturdays when many of us can actually get there since we are working the rest of the week. Just thinking out loud...
My husband use to drive a mail truck and pickup the mail at po's and take it to the main offices, and he said that Wednesday was the lightest day for mail. They never had to much mail on them days.