Major Announcement by USPS

Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 AM

Best if everyone just go to the post office now and purchase a whole bunch of "forever" stamps. "Forever" stamps has no value amount printed on the stamps and it will always be good at anytime. If they increases the cost on stamps you still can use the forever stamps and they have no idea how much you orginally paid for it.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
don't forget you can print online postage and have it picked up. Very convenient and you save on some classes of mail, and on DC.
Can't see this happening when you have a PO Box. We only have a physical address for UPS and FedX.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by pokergal3
Best if everyone just go to the post office now and purchase a whole bunch of "forever" stamps. "Forever" stamps has no value amount printed on the stamps and it will always be good at anytime. If they increases the cost on stamps you still can use the forever stamps and they have no idea how much you orginally paid for it.
time will tell us what happens with "forever" stamps
Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 AM

I am a retired Postal Worker and I heard they were closing alot of the small offices that doesn't get much business. Also they are suppose to stop Saturday delivery. I live in a small town now and they will probably close our PO too, I will have quite a drive to get to a PO if they do this. I do alot of my mailing off the website. Pay for postage and the carrier just picks it up. You can only do this with packages though. You can purchase stamps online though.

Verna2197
Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Yes, you can go online to print postage and save money, but if like me, you don't have access to high speed internet (yes some of us are still in the dark ages) then it takes forever to download all the crap on the site just to get to the postage part. I don't know about you, but my time is valuable too. I need my post office.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM

Yes I know everyones time is important. I didn't mean anything by what I posted. I too still want my post office. I am sorry if I stepped on anyones toes here.

Verna2197
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM

don't forget you can print online postage and have it picked up. Very convenient and you save on some classes of mail, and on DC.
yes unless it doesn't fit in the priority or express mail catagory. Parcel Post can't be . I wish it could.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by damaquilts
yes unless it doesn't fit in the priority or express mail catagory. Parcel Post can't be . I wish it could.
https://www.paypal.com/shipnow :wink:
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

And the other side of the coin....FedEx will be increasing charges...it was on FOX news last night....anything to do with gasoline prices. SWAirlines is addign a $45.00 surcharge to selective flights....And so it goes on and on. We live in the oldest summer resort town in US...2 PO's, but I can guess they will close one of them. I can live with no Sat. delivery....no more newspaper printed on Sat.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Five days of delivery, six days of service

While several steps must be taken to fully address the revenue gap, five-day delivery is one of the Postal Service’s best options to significantly reduce its costs to partially offset its unprecedented mail volume and revenue declines, with Saturday being the best day to eliminate carrier delivery.

Why Saturday? It has the week’s lowest daily volume, and more than a third of U.S. businesses are closed Saturday. Most businesses and households surveyed in a national Gallup Poll indicated Saturday would be the least disruptive day to eliminate mail delivery. That conclusion has since been reinforced by recent Postal Service market research.

This website is designed to provide postal customers with information regarding our proposal to implement a five-day delivery schedule for street addresses. We hope you find the site informative as the Postal Service strives to continue to be as dynamic and adaptive as the marketplace and customers it serves.

The Postal Service plans to implement five-day delivery in fiscal year 2011. Implementation is contingent on Congress not enacting legislation to prevent that change in service. In addition, the Postal Service asked the Postal Regulatory Commission on March 30 to review its plans and issue a non-binding advisory opinion.