• mama always said.......funny things

• mama always said.......funny things

Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 PM

"Can't never could. Won't never would"
    "Something's rotten in Denmark"
    "Pretty is as pretty does"
    "If wishes were horses beggars would ride."
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
    The one my daughter remembers best..."If you're going to dream, you might as well dream big"
    "S/he's just a wannabe"
    Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM

My mother always said "can't never did anything". So true, so true. All of you can attest to that. If you believe you can't do something, then you won't even try.
    Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by bronnyb
    Thank you for this thread.
    We lost mum in 07 - three weeks before her 57'th anniversary. I'm still coming to terms with that.

I realised I was turning into my Mum when I caught myself saying "What a NICE young man!"

However, the saying that I use all the time is: 'SMILE & POINT YOUR TOES'
    I had thought it was a saying for me alone, as I used to go to ballet lessons, and as the oldest and tallest in the class, would either be the first or last on stage.
    I take it now to mean: Go on out in the world, day by day and put a pleasant face on it all, leave your problems behind - show the world that you are just as talented/worthy as the rest of them!
    It turns out at the funeral, that she used this phrase for my sister too (11years older - must have done ballet too!)

Not a saying but a doing... Mum taught me to bow at the Full Moon 7 times. I drag my youngest son out with me to do this every month - generally in public. We still see this as a Nancy-ism.

thanks
    bronny
    i wonder if "point your toes" is the same as we say on this side of the pond: "put your best foot forward" ? do you still practice ballet?
    Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa773
    Originally Posted by bluestarmom
    my mom, whom I hated when I was 13 to 18 and then loved as if there were tomorrow after that. And then one day, there was no tomorrow. April 25 th, today would have been my parents 68 wedding aniversery. She left us for a much loftier place on April 27 th, 1989. She was the wsame age I am now. I cry even all this time that has passed. Dad decided that he was not staying here without so he passed away about 10 years later. But my parents, especialy my mom, were all Polish and I loved every minute of it. The grand children, my son and daughter would roar with laughter when they would pinch their fingers in a door and "mom-mom" would kiss them, dirt and all and asked them.. Ahhh did you hurt your little nunners".. She and her 3 sisters had words for various parts of the body that the CIA would never know what they meant. Everytime I hit my finger and catch them in something, I get this big smile as I remember her kissing my little "nunners" to make them better. Wow, thank you to whome ever came up with this today. You made me smile and I so needed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you,

Blue (but not sad)
    My Mom passed away April 9, 2006 and I know exactly what you mean. The pain and sadness lessens, but never goes away. She used to refer to a pinched finger as "finners."
    She also used to scold us for touching something or someone we shouldn't have by saying..."if you touch that again, I'll break your arm off and beat you with it." With 7 brothers and sisters, someone had to be in control! She was it.
    She loved us all unconditionally, and we were never too old to be rocked in her arms. I know this for a fact, as she once sat in the rocking chair and rocked me in her arms when I was a married adult. She reveled in our joy and wept for our sadness.
    I adored her and miss her more than I can say. God bless our Moms! Cherish them!
    Enough now, the screen is blurry and my glasses have fogged up! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all.
    Lost my Mom in March 2005 and miss her every day. Mom loved to say "Knock it off or I will tear your arm off and beat you with the bloody end of it". It made me smile when you said that Lisa.
    Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 PM

When I would really be pestering my Mom, she would smile and tell me "Girl you better watch it now or I will knock you clear into next week!" I would laugh & tell her she couldn't catch me cause I could run faster than her. LOL She never meant it but we would pick on each other like that at times. LOL
    Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 AM

i wonder if "point your toes" is the same as we say on this side of the pond: "put your best foot forward" ? do you still practice ballet?

Chuckle.....have you seen Fantasia....and the hippos in tu-tu's????
    I was too big for ballet by age 12....
    seems my talent lies with textiles, not with toeshoes!
    Old 04-29-2010, 04:31 AM

Whenever my mom and myself or my sisters would do something stupid my dad would say dumb old girl. I miss that. He's been gone 6 years.
    Old 04-29-2010, 05:30 AM

I say "groovy" sometimes. Remember The Brady Bunch?
    Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 AM

After reading this thread--I want to copy each and every word of wisdom. I laugh when I repeat to my children what I said I never would... and finish with "oh my I sound like my parents now"... thanks everyone for sharing.
    Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by red roses
    I say "groovy" sometimes. Remember The Brady Bunch?
    Sure do...fun show!