map reading

Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Our state maps are free. Have seen a number of other state maps also free. When you get the atlas then you pay. I usually pick up several maps of our state at different gas stations, becuase I use them for work. Mark where I go and where to turn for next area, if not in my locla area.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:52 AM

Well, I never learned to read a map until I married the "happy wanderer." While I'm good at reading maps for distance trips, some of the addresses around town (think urban sprawl over 15 miles in diameter) really get me. So I, too, rely on Google and the little blinking spot to help guide me to new places. But then, it told us that it would take 3 days to drive here from Seattle, so we know the machine isn't always right. LOL
Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I love maps and my DH always uses the computer to plan a route to one of our day trips. I use the map and know exactly where I am going and quicker then the computer too! DH goes to several sites to gather as much info as he can and I can be there and back before he is off the PC. Ha ha.
peace
Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by carrieg
Play a game with your grandkids & teach how to read a map, a real paper map. Pick a town 300-400 miles from home & have them give you 2 different routes there. How many miles is each route, how many rest areas can they stop at on the interstate, how to figure mileage based on exit #s, what’s the speed limit. I know at least 2 guys who love to read atlases. There’s a lot of interesting info on them. If you don’t have a state map, they sell them at gas stations. LOL They may find out that mapquest or google maps don’t always offer the best routes! At some point in their schooling they will need to know how to read a legend.

When we came home from a ruined camping vacation, we couldn't use overdrive gear on our pickup. I had to use our atlas to find our route home by avoiding interstates. Saw the beautiful Ohio countryside on our way home to Michigan. It was a darn good thing I knew how to read the lines on the maps!

Just a thought while the kiddos are home over Christmas. :-)
Map, graph and chart skills show up on most standardized tests in the math and social studies sections so all kids need to learn to read and use the data from maps! Great idea to teach them this!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM

I have managed for Dominos pizza for over 10 years. I have had to teach countless young new drivers how to read a map. They don't think it's important till I show them how much $ they are losing by wasting time setting up their GPS on every run. 1 to 2 minutes per run over 15 runs a night equals out to be 1 to 2 more runs a night. $2-10 a night could be as much as $200 a month. All from being able to read a map.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 AM

If you go to your local Chamber of Commerce, they have lots of free maps, and pamphlets of local attractions you can search for on maps and visit as the reward for finding them on maps. My kids and I spent our summers visiting local things like Dams, historical sites, famous local sites, all kinds of things. Enjoy!
Old 12-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Lynnie, you are right on all counts!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Good point. I'm amazed at how frequently I encounter adults who don't have any idea about directions, much less the ability to read a map. Often they are answering the phone in a business and can't tell me whether it is located north or south of the nearest cross street or whether it's on the east or west side of the road. When you are on a limited access road the difference might mean doubling back a mile or more, and google maps are frequently not correct about where exactly something is. These people will say something like "Turn left" without finding out which way I'm coming from.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM

I use a paper map, I don't trust those GPS thingys.

I tell my husband that we don't ever get lost. We just wander about till we get where we are going.