Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone? >
  • Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone?

• Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Here's a link to photos of her and Jen's description of what happened. She was a red bag!! I wondered why Jen went in so fast--but other wise the filly would have died. Her name is Willow!! :-D She looks like a princess in her purple blanket.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/in...&#entry1285741
    Old 04-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Yea!! She seems so much better at nursing than what she was at first!! Thanks for the update Karla.
    What a pretty name too!
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
    Power Poster

Thank you for the updates Karla!!! :D:D:D
    So happy to hear that the vet gave them a clean bill of health:D:D:D
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Gosh darn that is one cute cute cute little filly! I am so happy that she is here and all is well!

Okay....Now who & where do we watch? LOL
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Swirl is next. Sometimes when one mares foals, it gets another going if she's close. Swirl is at 330 days I think-foal's cooked just fine by then. :wink:

Willow is a beautiful baby!! She was just running around and bucking. :lol: Mama is so protective!
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Been watching Willow & I think Diana has her hands full with her new daughter. LMBO She is a feisty little thing!! LOL Oh my goodness it is so much fun to watch them. DH & I have been sitting here cracking up.
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanks. I thought I had read yrs ago when we had Quarter Horses, that 1 foal delivering could set another foal off if she was close. But that was 27 yrs ago & I have slept since then.LOL That filly is a doll & seems to be a livewire. LOL
    Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM

I don't know too much about things like this, so here's the question. What is a red bag?
    Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM

I can answer that. It's when the allantois-chorion (the tougher red sac that is attached to the uterus like velcro) fails to rupture so it sticks out of the vulva first, rather than the amniotic sac breaking through and being seen first. Once it detaches from the uterine wall, the baby is no longer getting oxygen from it's mother. If it continues, the baby will suffocate. The fix is simple--just as Jen did--break it open right away! The trouble comes when a mare is not watched--foals alone--and the foal dies.

A second problem is when the amniotic sac doesn't break--they can be tough to get out of when the foals are so small.

That's what makes foaling so stressful--the mare MUST be watched 24/7. That's why Mare Stare is so helpful. IF I ever foal out again, I'll want the extra eyes. I just stayed up all night when I knew it was close--or set my cell phone alarm for every 15 minutes. If the milk was skim like, I did not close my eyes. It's exhausting to do alone. No one else can stay awake--they don't have as much at stake. Some would ask how I can stay awake like that. The answer is easy--my mare's life and the foal's are at stake. I got my mares into the pregnancy, and I will see them through. Period.
    Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    I can answer that. It's when the allantois-chorion (the tougher red sac that is attached to the uterus like velcro) fails to rupture so it sticks out of the vulva first, rather than the amniotic sac breaking through and being seen first. Once it detaches from the uterine wall, the baby is no longer getting oxygen from it's mother. If it continues, the baby will suffocate. The fix is simple--just as Jen did--break it open right away! The trouble comes when a mare is not watched--foals alone--and the foal dies.

A second problem is when the amniotic sac doesn't break--they can be tough to get out of when the foals are so small.

That's what makes foaling so stressful--the mare MUST be watched 24/7. That's why Mare Stare is so helpful. IF I ever foal out again, I'll want the extra eyes. I just stayed up all night when I knew it was close--or set my cell phone alarm for every 15 minutes. If the milk was skim like, I did not close my eyes. It's exhausting to do alone. No one else can stay awake--they don't have as much at stake. Some would ask how I can stay awake like that. The answer is easy--my mare's life and the foal's are at stake. I got my mares into the pregnancy, and I will see them through. Period.
    I didn't realize the types of problems that horses had!!! Incredible! This morning when I started checking the video, I got really nervous and was like should I make a call something is going on and then all of a sudden someone appeared. Thank God!!! Watching this was very exciting. Looks like Diana is going to be a good mom! 3:30am and momma is eating and baby is laying down.