Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone? >
  • Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone?

• Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    ROFLOL That was funny Karla. LOL Never thought of that! LOL I'm not tellin DH that I have sat here all of this time watching a gassy horse. LOL
    Ha-ha--I won't tell.
    Hey, maybe hubby would be interested in a gassy horse...my hubby thinks it's very funny when he blames the dog.

:roll:
    Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 PM

All horses are gassy... they eat a lot of forage. :roll: Mine seem especially so when I'm working around that end. :roll:
    Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Trouble is that he has been almost as interested as me about Ralphie. He went out & got dinner so I could sit here watching the computer. ROFLOL

I have a bad case of this watching Mares stuff. I even dreamed about Ralphie last night! Owning one of these adorable little mini's would be enough to put me over the edge! So I will sit here happily watching the webcam. I am so very Thankful Tracy has the Cam up so we can watch!
    Old 05-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    Hey, maybe hubby would be interested in a gassy horse...my hubby thinks it's very funny when he blames the dog.

:roll:
    Yours too? :roll: Must be a guy thing!
    Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Last year, I posted a few things I've written, on the topic of horses, to keep watchers busy... so here's one of them:

In my sleep deprivation, I had started to worry, obsess, about a possible dystocia. Would I be able to handle it? How long would it take a vet to arrive if I needed one? But, when I observed Chloe’s actions on the monitor—a peace feel upon me; I knew everything would be okay. I watched alone for a while, not wanting to share the moment with anyone, not sure what I was seeing, but then I called my daughter to watch. By that time there were only five minutes left before real labor began and I knew it was time to call Kennedy, and time for me to head to the barn. Chloe had God on her side, and I had talked to Him daily for weeks, asking for the wisdom to see her through. I slept very little for days—not willing to take my eyes off her. All was well. Thank you, Lord.

Here’s my interpretation of what I saw…
    The mare walked the perimeter of her stall, stopping at each side (always be aware of the special place’s surroundings). Her head turned slowly, purposefully to the left, and lingered there. Then slowly, deliberately, she turned to the right, searching. Searching for what? (Look, without rushing, to each cardinal direction so there are no surprises when the time comes.) She left bodily waste at the west side. She sniffed the pile to be sure the message was clear (Let other horses and creatures know the special time is near and ask that your space be respected.) After a short time, the mare walked decisively to the south border and repeated her ritual. Again, the message was assessed. She was satisfied; her eyes told. Within 30 minutes from the start of this procedure, the mare walked to the east and finished her mission. She circled the perimeter again, stopping at each pile to confirm her message. Her statement was clear; her foal would be safe. But the ritual was not complete. The mare stood in the center of her safe area and pawed to test the ground. Was it the best place? Yes. She checked a second time to be sure. (Never rush the ceremony—your foal’s life depends on it.) Her discomfort from the start of contractions made her yawn to work through the ache. (Nothing worthwhile is ever easy—take pride in the pain it takes to bring a new life into the world.) The bedding in the center was nudged in last minute preparedness. A deep contentment feel into the mare. She was at peace. All was well. She could feel it in her bones. The time was near, and she was ready.
    Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Ahhh gee Karla, that made me tear up! Your gift of writing transforms the ordinary into the extraordinary. Such as sense of reverence for a living creatures act of bearing new life!

Thank you!
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM

You're welcome, nursie. I love to write (wait! You know that!) and I never took anything for granted with my mares' foalings. I can post more stories of the births...

I told Tracy this: If I ever try the breeding again (1% chance and wouldn't be until I retire) I'd do this mare stare thing and get these quilting ladies on it. Some have been watching Ralphie since 2:00 PM! Their husbands get take out so no one has to leave to cook. LOL

And she said this: That is so wonderful! Two people called me for Swirl. I am so grateful!
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Karla that was so well written! I really enjoyed it. Thank You for sharing. These mini's are fascinating to me. It is a good thing I live in town or I would want one as a companion pet.
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Mare Stare is better than TV :thumbup:
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
    Horses raise their tails when they toot--so she's probably just gassy today. "wink"

ROFLOL That was funny Karla. LOL Never thought of that! LOL I'm not tellin DH that I have sat here all of this time watching a gassy horse. LOL
    Told my DH this, and he laughed hehehee. boy do I miss our horses, just not the work envolved with them.