Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone? >
  • Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone?

• Mare stare for a high risk mare, anyone?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Here's the story of Rosie's birth. The best ending is that I kept her! I'm trying to keep you entertained while waiting on Ralphie... but I'm headed to bed soon. I don't think she's going tonight.

I had told my tired-of-waiting students on Monday, I thought Gypsy would foal on Wednesday at the latest. Tonight her bag was hard and full, and her milk was waxy yellow. She was restless. Unlike the past two nights, her naps were short. All the signs were coming: tail rubbing, yawning, stomping her back legs, loose in the back….It was starting to remind me of the night in May 2005 when Whisper was born. The timing was exact—10:30-11:00 PM. Rachel and I watched the monitor as I tried to make the decision when to call Kennedy. It was 10:30 when I saw Gypsy have a contraction, so I hit the send button and told her mom a foal was on its way. I headed to the barn, while Rachel and Mark continued to watch the monitor. Rachel retrieved Kennedy when she was dropped off because I don’t want folks in the barn until after the foal is out and Gypsy has stood up. Kennedy arrived just as the white bubble was making an appearance.
    Water broke at 10:42. The white bubble showed, then disappeared, then showed up a second time, and was gone. I was standing in the neighboring stall trying to see if there was a hoof, muzzle, and another hoof. (Chloe was eating my pockets—I’d forgotten there were peppermints in there.) One foot was way out in front, but the muzzle was there. Gypsy was pushing hard. After about the 5th push, I decided to lend a hand. Waiting for a contraction, I pulled gently downward and the foal was out. Not moving. I quickly broke the sac and cleared the nose area and immediately the foal moved. Whew. One front leg was wrapped over the head, so I gently unfolded it while Gypsy bent around to talk to her new baby. I wanted her to stay down for as long as possible. After 5 minutes, she stood, and just like last time, out slid the placenta. I’d have to break the umbilical cord again. I waited until the foal was interested in moving about, then found the weak spot and kneaded it with my thumb and forefinger until it separated. Within 30 minutes the filly was nursing, and had been dipped. She gave a hearty poop after an enema, and Rachel and Kennedy saw her pee while I was tending to other stalls. Her new yellow flannel blanket didn’t fit as well as I’d hoped. It’s too short and the hole for the head was too small! The green one warmed her while I made adjustments; it still isn’t a great fit, but it’s hugging her with warmth. Beautiful Gypsy had her Bantamine (I put it in her feed, so I was hoping she ate it) and Ivermectin. Then it was time to just watch the newest one. What a beautiful, leggy, upright girl. On my last check, Gypsy was resting in the middle of her stall, while Rosie ran lap after lap around her. We’re unsure of her color -- I know the forum will help us out there; they’ll have an answer as soon as I post pictures.
    So, Little Church Minis is proud to introduce Little Church Remembers Rosa Adell, barn name Rosie. Rosa Adell (she liked to go by Dell) is my grandmother who died between the births of Blessing and Whisper. She adored these miniatures and sent pictures to all her relatives. At first I wondered if it might be too hard to sell a filly named this way, but after much pondering, I’ve decided to honor my grandmother by having a Miniature Horse named after her, no matter who’s loving on her. I just get to go first.

And here she is…..
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-38027.jpe   attachment-41568.jpe   attachment-41569.jpe  
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Rosie is special, Karla :thumbup:
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM

OH Karla! It is so cool to hear the story of Rosie's entrance into the world....and to think I personally got to love on her!!!!!
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Ohhhhh if that is not the most beautiful little thing! She is gorgeous. I would have had to keep her also. And I enjoyed the story of her arrival. Thank You for sharing that. You must truly be a wonderful Mom to you mini's!
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Tink's mom--they are all so special. But, one thing Rosie has always done is follow me around. From the time she was a few days old--she just wanted to be where I was. Still today, she is the one who will come first when I call--even when the other horses are out back--she will hang out with me. Her name is sure special. :-D

I'm glad you got to see part of our dance, nursie.

Gramof6--I sure try. I feel a huge responsibility to any animals trusted to our care.
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM

I see now it was a dance of love!
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Well--except for the circles--she always lays her ears back when I ask her to do those :lol:--but she willingly does them!

Ralphie is way too calm for me to think she'll go. Kay's horses act like they're going to go in five minutes and it's still weeks away. :lol:

I'm going to get ice cream...
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    Well--except for the circles--she always lays her ears back when I ask her to do those :lol:--but she willingly does them!

Ralphie is way too calm for me to think she'll go. Kay's horses act like they're going to go in five minutes and it's still weeks away. :lol:

I'm going to get ice cream...
    Oooo! My favorite food! What flavor?
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:28 PM

OWWWHHHH! She's laying down...is that a good sign?

Or is she just tired?
    Old 05-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Eddy's French Silk. Mmmmmmmmm