Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mare update--to start a post >
  • Mare update--to start a post

• Mare update--to start a post

Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 AM

but I know you have already tied the knot at the end of the rope and are hanging as much as possible.
    That's it exactly. :wink:

Her milk does seem sticker now--I just cleaned stalls and let them out. The winds are cold and strong--so the mares took one jaunt around the pasture and headed back for the barn. Rosie is hollering for me to let her back in--but she can hang out in the run-in for an hour so the mares can have a change of scene. Poor Jazz is still stuck in his stall--but he has a luxury suite too.

I hard part is the moment to moment decision making--should I go to work? Half day? Full day? Should I sleep? How soon should I check her? Is that hard? Is that loose? Was that a sign? Oh my gosh I'm glad this is my last year of foaling. For now on I'll just look at everyone else's foals... and remember, and smile.
    Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by barnbum
    but I know you have already tied the knot at the end of the rope and are hanging as much as possible.
    That's it exactly. :wink:

Her milk does seem sticker now--I just cleaned stalls and let them out. The winds are cold and strong--so the mares took one jaunt around the pasture and headed back for the barn. Rosie is hollering for me to let her back in--but she can hang out in the run-in for an hour so the mares can have a change of scene. Poor Jazz is still stuck in his stall--but he has a luxury suite too.

I hard part is the moment to moment decision making--should I go to work? Half day? Full day? Should I sleep? How soon should I check her? Is that hard? Is that loose? Was that a sign? Oh my gosh I'm glad this is my last year of foaling. For now on I'll just look at everyone else's foals... and remember, and smile.
    Are you getting rid of your horses? Maybe I misunderstood when you said its your last year of foaling
    Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 AM

No, no, Bev--just the last year of breeding mares... and having foals. :wink: I'd not survive without my horses. :D
    Old 04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
    Banned

Whew! Ok boy was I glad I was wrong.. I kinda figured they were your babies.... So dumb question here..... Do you have them fixed like a dog so they can't have babies? Sorry for sounding dumb :oops:
    Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Not so dumb as you think, if the feds are involved <g> did you know that they are sterilizing buffalos in Montana/South Dakota, rather than vaccinate them for brucellosis, like normal people do?
    Horses and cows do okay by just keeping them away from the stud service. They do come into heat - - cows, every 21 to 23 days ... dogs, on the other hand have a very pronounced drive to reproduce, so we spay and neuter them in order to not only control their reproductive process, but to remove the drive, making them much more predictable pets.
    Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Bev--I had my stallion gelded--which is what omak was talking about--a stallion is able to sire foals, a gelding cannot. Jazz will be much happier in the long run because once the 60 days has passed--he can be pastured with other horses and not be pastured alone. I always have him besides the girls--but it will be so much better to have him with them. He's a social bug. :wink:
    Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

OK Karla...got back in and am checking...no baby huh???

I did wean my little Jo Jo today. Boy, it was really easy..that'll teach him not to trust me and my little bucket...(hee...heee...heee) He'll be fine. I put him in with 3 others that were already weaned and his is just across the fence from Mom.

I didn't tell you guys, but our bull died last week. Just fell over dead...all 2500 lbs. of him.....very disturbing and I'm sure hoping that he got all his girls bred before whatever happened to him happened.

And poor Jazz....does his voice sound any higher yet??
    Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Sorry about your bull sandpat ... ours is going to become steaks next month. This month, I am hoping to catch three, maybe four cows ... after that is it me and the AI system.

GYPSY! The day is racing past!
    I had seen the mention of Jazz, but didn't know he was the Big GUy ... you are right ... running one herd of anything is just a whole lot easier.
    This is all very exciting!
    Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    OK Karla...got back in and am checking...no baby huh???

I did wean my little Jo Jo today. Boy, it was really easy..that'll teach him not to trust me and my little bucket...(hee...heee...heee) He'll be fine. I put him in with 3 others that were already weaned and his is just across the fence from Mom.

I didn't tell you guys, but our bull died last week. Just fell over dead...all 2500 lbs. of him.....very disturbing and I'm sure hoping that he got all his girls bred before whatever happened to him happened.

And poor Jazz....does his voice sound any higher yet??
    Oh Patti......that's horrible! Was he just old? No clue when it comes to the bigger animals.

Higher voice....TOO FUNNY!!!

COME ON GYPSY!!!! What's the hold up???
    Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
    Power Poster

Terri...no...he was only 4 1/2..we raised him. It appears that he had an embolysm??? He wasn't sick or anything...just fine one day..dead the next...dunno what happened. :(

Come on Gypsy!!! Go Gypsy...Go Gypsy....!!!!