• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mare update--to start a post >
  • Mare update--to start a post

• Mare update--to start a post

Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
    Power Poster

OK Gypsy...Mama's home...anytime now!!! :lol:
    Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Someone give Karla a nice strong drink and take Gypsy for a ride over a bumpy road. lol
    Old 04-21-2009, 02:56 PM

LOL! :D I hope she comes tonight!! Sleeping in the barn with here? Lol. :)
    Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Here I am--it's 6:55. I called Dad four times from school and he assured me she would not foal if I stayed for the meeting...so I did. Kennedy came home with me because she's as anxious about this as I am--well, almost. :wink: and I figured it'd do her good to see everything for herself. Plus--the company is awesome. If Gypsy doesn't go by Friday--Kennedy will spend the night here watching with me. Yay!!! NOT that we want her to wait--because we can try the same when Chloe's due.

Gypsy. Her bag is hard and her teats are full. When we put her in her stall she rubbed her tail like crazy...she's not that long in back, but it's not tight at all. Her milk is sticky--but not ready to foal sticky... I'm thinking 50/50 tonight... 90/10 tomorrow.
    Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Bless your heart, Karla!! Take it easy -- and maybe take a jug of wine with you to the barn tonight???
    Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Hi sewjoyce... I'm wound up right now--which is hard to believe on this schedule...it's amazing how I adjust to so little sleep. But my class is so awesome--we had a great day. They strengthen me. :wink:

I love showing Kennedy all the horse stuff. I put some of the milk in her hand so she could see what sticky meant... and in 2007 she wanted nothing to do with feeling udders, but now she loves to compare the firmness differences. When her father and brother came to pick her up--her brother felt the foal kick!! It's wonderful to have them here and interested--take the loneliness out of it--just like you gals do!!

I really appreciate all your support. :D
    Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Hang in there Karla! We're all pulling for you. Good luck!
    Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Karla, I'm glad you have Kennedy with you for a bit. I'm sure she takes your mind off of things.
    What exciting things are happening with your class or do I have to wait until the weekly letter comes out? Have they settled down from their vacation? You have such a great bunch of kids. I should put another box together for them for end of the school year. Put lots of treats in there for them for being so good and entertaining me during the year. :)
    Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM

Oh Terri--we started the Mixtures and Solutions Unit in Science today!! They took gravel, Kosher salt, and diatomacious earth and added 50 mL of water to each and stirred... we talked about mixtures--and then solutions--what the difference is. Then I told them they had to separate all of them. The screen worked for the gravel, and the coffee filter for the diotomacious earth, and they really thought the filter would separate the salt solution, so when were given permission to put their fingers in the filtered water and taste it--they were shocked. :D :D Then I told them they would be expected to figure out how to separate salt from the water... and one girl guessed it--she said just leave it in the sun and let the sun evaporate the water!! She got a high five for that!!

And we read a short story called "Barbie" and how they laughed at that one! They have lots of work to do on their second read tomorrow... but they always seem excited about everything we do!! What a joy!!

One boy is the son of the art teacher--and I had his older sister when I had Kennedy. The mom told me today he mentioned really missed me yesterday and when his mom mentioned how little school was left--he almost panicked because he doesn't want to leave me. His sister had a terrible time leaving--her mom had to rock her all the night before our last day. :( But I told her to tell him once I'm not his teacher we just become fast friends and because they live close we'll visit whenever we want! This boy is one of my favorites.
    Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM

WOW!! What a day!
    I would be SOOOO worn out if I had to spend a day with them. lol
    Your kids just love you, that's all. You really are a great teacher! I've seen the smiles on the faces of those kids. If you weren't so good, they wouldn't look so happy!
    I'm sure as the years go on, you'll probaby acquire a few more barn buddys too! :)