Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Mare update--to start a post >
  • Mare update--to start a post

• Mare update--to start a post

Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM
    Power Poster

Just found this thread ... Was hoping by the end we had a baby, but no :cry:
    Glad you got the report cards done, I am sure its a HUGE relief for you :lol: And a nap also, what a great day to have a baby.... Just keep thinking good thoughts !
    Sharon
    Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Gypsy!!!!!! where in the heck is that baby!!!!

I have a funny baby story. When we were raising our foals...my DH went to the National show and took one of our horses to show. Our mare was due with our 1st foal then...so I stayed with her. Well, of course, she foaled so I called down to the show arena. I told the lady that answered the phone to please have the announcer call my DH (this was before cell phones)...anyway..she wanted to know if it was an emergency, so I told her no..but we just had a baby and I wanted him to know. She was SOOOO excited!!!! She started asking all about the sex, weight and length..so I told her ..probably 65 lbs. and maybe 28" tall, and a boy.... :shock: :shock: She had the announcer say all that over the loud speaker... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    How funny, I bet your dh was loving all of that attention :lol: :roll: :lol:
    Old 04-19-2009, 11:25 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by barnbum
    Update--2:00 Gypsy's bag is HARD!!! She's sleeping in the sun (standing in her nap--not laying down) and didn't move when I checked her. There's a good chance it's tonight--but tomorrow would be understood too. Her bag is usually this hard for more than a day... but hey--you never know. :roll:

If she doesn't go tonight--I'll have to see about not going to school tomorrow...about making lesson plans--which I already started in anticipation of this happening.

And I got a nap today!! I m NOT a napper--hate 'em like a 3 year old--but I just crash. :?

AND- report cards are done! :D :D :D :D :D It's about a 6 hour job.
    We are all encouraging her to go tonight It is a good thing you are all prepared for taking a day off :wink: :D :wink: Go Gypsy, Go, Go Go!!!!!!
    Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Well--it was hard all day--even when I checked her before cleaning pastures... then after it was softer. What the heck???!!! I've got her on the monitor now--but if it's soft when I go out for 9:00 feeding--it'll be tomorrow at least. :? I'll take a half day tomorrow--if the foal arrives tonight, I'll have done what I have to do--and mama and foal can bond. If it doesn't arrive tonight... my dad will be watching most of the morning and I'll be home by 12:15. Weather is supposed to get nasty--40s, 20-30 mph winds, and rain...and that can bring on a foal.
    Old 04-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Darn I was hoping she had a hard hot bag so you could have your foal and get some sleep
    Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Checking in with you Karla. Glad to see you had a nap. Wishing that Gypsy would hurry up and have that foal for you. We need Terri to start her cheering again when she wakes up!
    Old 04-19-2009, 02:50 PM

I know, Kay, I know.. :? . I'm thinking tomorrow... but I'll be watching. She's so quiet tonight--it'll be much later if she goes tonight. I got a nap today--and maybe another will happen later.

I'll be able to sleep between foals--Chloe bag is not ready at all. She must be at 309 as I first suspected. No way Jazz would have bred her if she wasn't in heat.... But her milk vein is impressive! :roll:

Alaskan Lady--Yes--I agree. But even cheering didn't get my second child out sooner. :lol:
    Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM

I just read all this to....don't know how I missed it....here's hoping everything goes smooth :D :D
    Old 04-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Just checking in at dinner time, to see if we had a foal...
    Dang...I was really hoping for dinner theatre....
    Old 04-19-2009, 03:25 PM

A watched pot never boils?
    I used to tell expectant moms .... until you are CONVINCED that you will look like this for the rest of your life and have come to accept that fact ... the baby can't be born...
    Storm acoming? Cool! Barometric pressure lowers, no one wants to be out in the mess ... when else would a baby horse want to be born? Too bad you can't pour a pool of water in the corner of the stall so she can have it in a mudpuddle ... and, I'll bet it's going to be black ... so it has to be born in the darkest part of the night - - perhaps four am?

Did I get all of the cliches??? LOL what else can we do as we stand around waiting ... waiting .... waiting .... can't even dig up any sympathy for the pour mare who must feel like a blimp, eh? <g>