Math funny

Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 AM

Excuse the typos. My quilting is as bad as my keyboarding skills, trust me.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It's easy to relate to your witty son, poor guy. Lands, I hated algebra! My complaint was, "How in the world can 'n' and 'x' and 'y' and 'a' and 'b' have *anything* to do with numbers?? Letters are for words and language, numbers are for math and figuring! Right?"

At 68 I admit there have been few (obvious) times I've wished I knew my algebra; but geometry has served me over and over. Because it is "written" with words and THEN math, I got it, somehow!

I hope he enjoys all the math he is exposed to in his school career!

Jan in VA
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 AM

When my daughter was in first grade, she came home from school in tears. Seems the teacher told them they would starting learning division the next day. Daughter said, her brain was full and there was nothing she wanted to forget. This was 38 years ago, and 3 or 4 degrees ago.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:14 AM

I hated math in school and did poorly because I disliked it so much. Much later when I became a fire inspector and investigator it was necessary to calculate areas, friction loss, burn times, etc. I wished I had paid more attention when I had a chance - live and learn.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:28 AM

Dealing with frustration is part of Life. Your son sounds like he has a talent for Math. Maybe a more advanced Math class would be good for him?
So many of our educational activities are "Brain Games".
What good are sports if not to train your brain and body? Some people enjoy these different Life activities. That is one reason our educational system offers so many opportunities- to find out what you are good at, what you enjoy and how to increase our skills for a productive Lifestyle.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
I have a witty 6th grade son who is just learning algebra. He is really bright in math and I think figures things out in his head so fast that it's hard for him to realize he is solving for x by mentally subtracting, adding, etc. Writing down the formulas and steps to solve for x is making him extrememly frustrated.

At his breaking point, he came to me and said, "Mom, when will I ever use this? Never! When have YOU ever used it? Never! It's like an algae bra. You will NEVER use it AND it stinks!"
Your son has a delightful sense of humor and sounds very bright.

I hated algebra. I think a lot of my problem was I feared the teacher and was afraid to ask questions. She was a real meanie.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 AM

Don't use short hand either.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I hated math. I wasn't bad in it except for the long division. I had no problem going forward but going backward was hard. Amazing what we don't think what we need yet we use it all the time. We use it in business and craft.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
DH was (and still is) like that...figuring all in his head before writing anything down. Says he used to get scolded by the teachers all the time for not writing the formulas - just the answers. And being the person he is, would argue with the teacher that since the answer was correct, why was it such an issue not writing the formula???? He is my go-to guy when it comes to fabric calculations! Cuz I just absolutely suck at math.
I had the same problem as your DH but now understand why we had to show our work. I had a hard time memorizing the steps, but could come up with the right answer, by letting the problem twist around in my head, for a few minutes. When asked how I got the answer, it was hard to explain the "twisting" process, so my teachers probably thought I had somehow copied the answer from somewhere. I had to force myself to learn the proper steps. What I realize now, is that by learning the steps, I was teaching my brain to be more methodical. Well, trying to teach it, anyway.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks, Neesie, for your insight. Math (and algebra in particular) teaches our brain to process in a logical manner. Have anybody noticed that many young people have to use a calculator for the simplest problems? Forget complicated ones .... their googling those answers. Yes, I did well in math with some hiccups but philosophy was entirely another matter.