Math funny

Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 AM

That is pretty funny, but he will be amazed at how often he actually WILL use algebra in his life. I was like him in that I could solve for x in my head, but my teachers wanted to see the work! Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with it until 9th grade. But I use it all the time, especially in resizing a block pattern.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie
I had the same problem as your DH but now understand why we had to show our work. I had a hard time memorizing the steps, but could come up with the right answer, by letting the problem twist around in my head, for a few minutes. When asked how I got the answer, it was hard to explain the "twisting" process, so my teachers probably thought I had somehow copied the answer from somewhere. I had to force myself to learn the proper steps. What I realize now, is that by learning the steps, I was teaching my brain to be more methodical. Well, trying to teach it, anyway.
Same here!! I knew the answer but all those unnecessary steps did me in!! Hey it wasn't my fault they were so slow???????
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM

I have used simple algebraic formulas many times throughout my life, though I don't recall the exact circumstances. Every time I did, though, I remember having the same complaint when I was in high school. Since you can't know what you might need to know in the future, why not learn all you can???
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM

I use algebra everyday. I am a Slot Anaylsis in Las Vegas, NV
Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 PM

How funny. And, I thought algebra "stunk" when I was in school too.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM

I think it would help students if real world application and career examples were given to the students at the start and throughout the class. I am not talking about the word problems in the book either. I hated the word problems. I read somewhere that it takes different parts/abilities in the brain to work them compared to a non-word math problem.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 PM

When I taught high school math classes (yes I am one of those math nerds) My students could give me the exact grade they needed to make on their final in order to get what ever grade they desired to have. Then would stand there and tell me they didnt understand algebra! It amazed me, I have to derive that formula for the final grade every time I used it, but they could work it out......without realizing they were using a very advanced algebra.

Math is the only universal language. If you address math as a language you are attempting to learn rather than arithmetic, then it should be a little easier and all those letters make more sense!

side funny, when you work on problems in physics, they use the greek alphabet for the values. One day I was at the kitchen table working a very detailed and LONG problem, it took the whole page. My grandma came over and looked at my work and promptly said "Wow, that looks all greek to me" I couldnt stop laughing long enough to tell her what was so funny.....it was all greek! still makes me laugh.

Zozee, tell him that math is essential to everything, but the steps in algebra are used to train your brain in order to do other technical subjects.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM

algae bra.... hilarious!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 AM

We use so much math in our everyday lives that we take it for granted. Fabric calculation, measuring and dividing to get the same size borders. You would be surprised how much you use it, and if you don't know the formulas you can get lost. I am sure that if he has the formulas in his head it must be frustrating to break that down into written language, but someday it may come in handy
Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 PM

One of the main things you learn in school is how to learn. It's a process. You're learning process, and how to reach B from A via C.

Teachers are looking for the steps to make sure that you understood the process. Jumping from A to B doesn't show that the process is understood.

He has a quick mind, this is good. I used to be one of those kids who could come up with the answers in my head as fast or faster than via paper. I would just "see" the answer. It's not as good as it used to be, but I understand how he can be frustrated.

One lesson I had to learn is "In life, sometimes it's not about winning (or getting the right answer) it's about playing the "game"". In this case, the "game" is the math exercise, and the game's rules have been determined by the teacher. Most of us can win a game that we make the rules to. The challenge comes when we don't make the rules.

It's character building. Your boy seems to have a lot of character already, but we can all use a little more. That's what some of these sewing machines continually insist on teaching me anyway.