Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • May 2013 Weight Loss Adventure >
  • May 2013 Weight Loss Adventure

• May 2013 Weight Loss Adventure

Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 AM

This was a busy and stressful week for me. Looks like it was for many others, also. Thankfully, it didn't cause me to overeat like it usually does. I'm so glad I found this thread where we can all encourage each other.

I have arthritis, like my mom and both grandmothers. I try to keep moving. I walked yesterday in a "Fun Run." It was on pavement - which I completely avoid these days because I'm in pain afterwards. But I did a good stretch afterwards, took a long hot bath with epsom salts, and took an Aleve. I'm ok this morning. I take a gentle beginner yoga class once a week (it helps my pain and stiffness a lot!!!!). I also try to take a calcium tablet and a glucosamine tablet once a day, although I'm inconsistent with that.

I lost a couple of pounds this week!! Yeah, I haven't been able to do that in about 2 years. I credit this thread, knowing I'm checking in and you all are working at this too. Have a great week.
    Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 AM

I'm back on track after our mini vacation and at a no loss no gain for the month....I figure I' m learning how to "maintain" after reaching goal!
    Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM

I didn't accomplish any walking on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. I don't think I'm going to get much walking done today. I think it's the humidity and heat. My knees and hips are very stiff, and my perpetually broken foot is swelling up like a balloon. Blergh. I have been behaving myself as far as my eating, so hopefully I won't gain any weight. I haven't weighed myself in about a week.
    Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 PM

Twas my birthday, I did over eat a little. Making up for it today but still have 2 more celebrations! Pray I do better. Had my facets injected, after my 3 spinal injections failed and 3 months of PT, and then four shots in the rump 4 days later - still with terrible sciatica to the point of tears if I stand or walk. Do better with a cane. See the Doc again Friday and asking for copies of my records and then wishing him adios. Tomorrow I get the result of my Cat Scan - follow up for cancer - wish me luck!
    Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady
    Not doing very well this month on weight loss. I keep gaining and losing the same pound over and over. I haven't changed my diet (cheated) but the weight seems to want to stay with me. I talked to my counselor this morning and she made some suggestions I am going to try. Switching up my proteins, trying different fruits, and different starch choices...bread, pasta, potatoes. I weigh and measure everything and drink my 96 oz. of water daily. I haven't exercised much because it hurts my joints. Walking makes my hips "lock up" so I don't do much of anything. I did mop the kitchen yesterday and clean the cabinet fronts. Everything hurts today. The cloudy weather isn't helping much either. I'll survive and I will lose. I told my counselor that my relationship with fat was over, but it hadn't got the message yet! haha It keeps hanging around hoping I'll change my mind and eat something not on plan. Not gonna happen. I've come too far and my clothes are fitting better. I was down 1 lb. since Monday. My overall total since Jan. 1st is 32.2 lbs. I'm ready for another big loss to encourage me. Thanks to everyone who always says something on here to cheer me on. I know I didn't get this way overnight, but I'd like a little more cooperation from my body! haha Hope you all are having a good week.
    Debbie
    Well, it seems the switching up of food items has helped. I was down 1.4 lbs. Monday at my weigh in. My total now is 33 lbs. since Jan. 1. I still ate the food on my plan, just picked some different things like cantaloupe instead of oranges, low calorie bread instead of pasta, and ate more tuna instead of chicken. I guess my body thought it was getting a "treat" when I switched up some things. I've also been able to exercise a little at a time and that's helping too. I get in a rut sometimes by eating the same things over and over. Variety seems to satisfy me so I'll continue doing what I did last week.
    Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Love the variety Teddybear and sounds like you have it under control.
    My tip for this Tuesday is a 'variety' as well --
    Terrific Tuesday - sometimes setting time aside for exercise can be difficult. Commit to doing just five minutes at a time - and try to do the exercise more than once a day. Generally, you'll feel better and actually do more than just five minutes. Shake it up...
    Old 05-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Cindy, I received the quilt pattern today, thanks so much!!!! I'm putting that one on my 'to do' list!
    Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
    Cindy, I received the quilt pattern today, thanks so much!!!! I'm putting that one on my 'to do' list!
    So glad it arrived in one piece. It is fun to make. I am ready to get mine quilted. it has been on the alter at my Eastern Star meetings.
    Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pete
    Twas my birthday, I did over eat a little. Making up for it today but still have 2 more celebrations! Pray I do better. Had my facets injected, after my 3 spinal injections failed and 3 months of PT, and then four shots in the rump 4 days later - still with terrible sciatica to the point of tears if I stand or walk. Do better with a cane. See the Doc again Friday and asking for copies of my records and then wishing him adios. Tomorrow I get the result of my Cat Scan - follow up for cancer - wish me luck!
    Happy Belated Birthday Pete. Prayers for good results on your testing.
    Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by CindyA
    This was a busy and stressful week for me. Looks like it was for many others, also. Thankfully, it didn't cause me to overeat like it usually does. I'm so glad I found this thread where we can all encourage each other.

I have arthritis, like my mom and both grandmothers. I try to keep moving. I walked yesterday in a "Fun Run." It was on pavement - which I completely avoid these days because I'm in pain afterwards. But I did a good stretch afterwards, took a long hot bath with epsom salts, and took an Aleve. I'm ok this morning. I take a gentle beginner yoga class once a week (it helps my pain and stiffness a lot!!!!). I also try to take a calcium tablet and a glucosamine tablet once a day, although I'm inconsistent with that.

I lost a couple of pounds this week!! Yeah, I haven't been able to do that in about 2 years. I credit this thread, knowing I'm checking in and you all are working at this too. Have a great week.
    Congrats on losing a few pounds, it is a start. it didn't go on overnight and it wont come off overnight. Keep up your good work.