Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • May 2013 Weight Loss Adventure >
  • May 2013 Weight Loss Adventure

• May 2013 Weight Loss Adventure

Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM

This weekend is Memorial Day weekend. For some it means BBQ's, all kinds of fattening foods. We need to try to remember to make wise choices. If you are bringing something to a BBQ try to bring something that is on the healthy side.

Try to fit some time into your schedule to make sure that you get your exercise in.

Have a wonderful weekend. I plan on working on some swaps I am in, with cutting squares and making table runners and a mini quilt.
    Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 AM

I have been extremely busy with thing. My 89 year old dad fell and hit his head on Sunday night. He has a bleed in the right frontal lobe of his brain. We have been running back and forth to the hospital. Thing are not good. He is mostly unresponsive. He wakes up occasionally for 5 minutes or so. Mostly can't understand him. He can sometimes answer yes/no questions. Hospice just brought him home and we got him settled in. We hired an aide to help out. The nurse seemed to think maybe a week or so left. I kinda hope things go quickly because he has always said he has no desire to live this way. He asked for a poison pill yesterday. Fortunately my mom didn't understand what he was saying.
    Also we have a family wedding reception on Sunday that I am making 10 cheesecakes for. I got up at 6:00 Am today and started baking. They are all finished and in the refrigerator. I also made some zucchini lasagne and homemade bread and some cookies. ready for a nap because I haven't had much sleep but I am waiting for my uncle to arrive.
    Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom
    I have been extremely busy with thing. My 89 year old dad fell and hit his head on Sunday night. He has a bleed in the right frontal lobe of his brain. We have been running back and forth to the hospital. Thing are not good. He is mostly unresponsive. He wakes up occasionally for 5 minutes or so. Mostly can't understand him. He can sometimes answer yes/no questions. Hospice just brought him home and we got him settled in. We hired an aide to help out. The nurse seemed to think maybe a week or so left. I kinda hope things go quickly because he has always said he has no desire to live this way. He asked for a poison pill yesterday. Fortunately my mom didn't understand what he was saying.
    Also we have a family wedding reception on Sunday that I am making 10 cheesecakes for. I got up at 6:00 Am today and started baking. They are all finished and in the refrigerator. I also made some zucchini lasagne and homemade bread and some cookies. ready for a nap because I haven't had much sleep but I am waiting for my uncle to arrive.
    Pat... wow this is so sad. I am sorry for what you are going through I will say a prayer for you and your family. It will be hard no matter when it happens. And I understand what you mean about wanting it to go quickly, I hate seeing anyone suffer in any way. I pray the hospice folks keep him comfortable.
    Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 PM
    Power Poster

meanmom I am so sorry to hear this about your precious dad. My dad is 80, and so I can understand the things that happen.
    Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM

Pat, I will be praying for you and your family.
    Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Pat- im so sorry about your dad. i will keep you in my prayers. i lost my dad few yrs back so can empathize. wow!! 10 cheesecakes! Would be dangerous!!! I looove a good cheesecake!
    Try to take 10 min deep breath and relax. dont need you sick!
    God bless
    Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 AM

Oh my Pat I'm sorry to hear about your dad, sending you lots of hugs. Make sure you take care of yourself, you can't help anyone else if you wear yourself out.
    Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 PM
    Power Poster

Everyone be careful over the holiday. Just stay safe when out. Enjoy your time whatever you are doing. Continued prayer for those sick, hurt, etc. I basically have not been watching my dieting due to 24/7 arm pain. Happy Sewing!
    Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I spent the day there. I am taking the day off tomorrow. We talked my mom in to going to her group at the YMCA in the morning. They walk in the pool and chat. Then my daughter and niece are taking her out to lunch. Mom got upset today with things. One of the aides is very inexperienced. Dad is in depends of course and was awake some today. The aide can't change him herself. I had to help her roll him. He is only 5'4" and about 120 pounds. She is very unsure of herself. SHe also started to change him in front of several people. My Brother is going to call her supervisor. I think she needs a little bit more training. The other 2 have been great. The one tonight came in and immediately took charge. Very good. Mom said she just wishes he would hurry up she hates to see him this way.
    I hope my om is OK. So far dad seems to not be aware enough to know his situation.
    Eating has been ok not great.
    Everyone have a safe and happy holiday.
    Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM

Well, I maintained this week...not too bad tho as it was my birthday week...had 2 parties and 1 to go. Then I can setlle down again. Back still giving problem. They want to put in a spinal stimulator -- does anyone have any experience with one?