Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl! >
  • May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

• May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
    Power Poster

Ummm sounds sooo good quilthappygail.
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks for letting me join this month. I was so unhappy with the way last month ended, it was sad to read the posts and miss hearing from our three ringleaders. But, it's a new month and we have new "faces" and . . . I'm still "fluffy".
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Good Evening Gang!

I was in a hurry this morning, so I didn't jump in on the introductions like everyone else.

Let's see...I'm 35, never married and all of my children have paws. I have five cats and a rabbit. My mother has lived with me 80% of the time since my father passed 11 years ago. At the moment, she is staying with relatives in California.
    As of Memorial Day weekend, I will have my two youngest nieces (12 & 14) living with me for an undetermined amount of time. The oldest is really interested in learning to sew so this summer will be a case of "the blind leading the blind".
    I am really excited about having my girls here as I pretty much raised them as babies and haven't been allowed to see them in five years.
    On to my dieting.....I really need to lose about 55 lbs, but I'm aiming for 5-10lbs to start. I had all 55 off about 6 years ago, but after my family fell apart food became my comfort and I gain it all back. I have no real health problems other than weird allergies and a bum knee that has an attitude problem.

Good luck to all!
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

I’m a friendly neighbour living on the West Coast of Canada. I really enjoy quilting and now that I am retired I have some time to work on my list of quilting projects. I am trying to master FMQ and have taken one class and signed up for two more. I practice and there is improvement. I discovered that some of the problems I was having with FMQ was actually with my machine and not me!!

I really want to lose some weight. It seems to have been a thread throughout my life. I have joined the local gym and taken up yoga after a long absence. I have a short term goal of losing 20 pounds. I also belong to a book club and last month we read, In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. His motto for eating is, “Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.” This rings true for me. I know that I eat too much, as we spent the last four months travelling around India. I lost 20 pounds without really trying. I was eating far less, very little meat, not drinking alcohol, and eating very few desserts. I didn’t feel hungry, but now that I am home it is really hard to keep this up.

So I joined this support group and hope to lose a few more pounds this month. Does anyone have books to recommend about fitness and losing weight?
    You’re a great group!
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM

My, my, lots of chattin goin on. I've had a productive day - laundry, cooking, washing dishes, blah blah. I am blessed to have a family to cook for.

I wanna say welcome to all the newbies. I hope everyone sticks around til the end of the month so we are real chummy. While winning FQs would be a real treat, regaining control of my weight is the real prize for me.

Xylie, I loved reading your bio and how you call yourself a warrior. Congratulations for the weight you have lost. I believe extra weight exacerbates existing disabilities. And creates new ones.

Missy, I hope we hear more from you this month. And stay well would ya?

Rose, after your youngest graduates, are they leaving for college? My Josh is a junior this year, and it just kills me to think of him leaving us. I think it will be harder for him than us.

Scrapgmom, your commute makes me cringe. I think you are wise to add little things in your day - keep taking those stairs.

sewNso, how sweet to be married for so long.

Gail, you made me laugh with your comment that food jumps on for the ride. When you count your steps, did your 10,000 come from being home, or do you purposely go for a walk? I may wear my pedometer just to see how many steps I take without exercising. Seems I did that years ago and was surprised it was barely 2,000.

deedee, crying at the gas pump never makes me feel better. What about you? When I hear the reports about oil/gas supplies, then I get really mad.

createfourpaws, did you have the same gorgeous weather that we did? It is so cool, I have had the windows opened all day and the breeze is great. Blue skies - aka, no humidity. We could sure use some rain. Wish someone would share.

Mary, I am also distressed to struggle with things I used to do so easily - like walk. You made me laugh when you said to let the skinny girls out!! Bring it!

MJ, WTG with staying with your eating plan after a stressful day. It takes such strength to stay focused when you are fatigued. Tis why you're my hero! My Pink Power Ranger. My Power Puff Girl!

lauriejo, so glad you made it in this month. I know Carrie and Tru are gone this month, who is #3?

My 17 day diet is going well. My quilting is not. THAT needs to change as I have joined my first swap on this board.
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Missy was the third one, she was on so seldom last month I really wasn't sure if we would hear from her this month. I am glad she is back.
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Hi everyone,
    I am 67 and lived most of my life with no weight problems.
    Then I remarried 9 years ago, got really lazy with my physical activities, ate out too much (plus ate too much) and here I am hitting 220. I huff and puff walking up the stairs. Even as I get older I still have that skinny girl mentality and think I can eat like I used to when I was younger. I know if I could lose weight I could throw out the blood pressure pills, my legs would stop aching and I would just feel lots better.
    I usually lurk on these sites but felt this one was worth joining again. (In April I gained 1 pound but not this month!)
    You all are an inspiration to me and I am hoping to lose 50 lbs. That would make me happy and I know I can do it.
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:09 PM

My top weight was 355, that was 10 years ago. It took me 2 years to lose to 300ish, then I got to 250. The next year I started back up. The 300 was my stopping point last year. I haven't weighed under 200 since age 21. I've also been on insulin most of that time. I figure I'm giving up food in hopes of giving up insulin.
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:14 PM

A little about me....

This is my third month with this thread.

Have watched/battled my weight beginning in my 20s. Was amazingly fit and skinnie-minnie with my last pregnancy, almost 18 years ago; weighed 116 when I got pregnant. Sadly, I weigh more now than if you add BOTH my pregnancy-gains together. Like Sandy, I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus in my right knee Feb 2010. Movement is difficult which makes weight loss so much harder. DR refuses any kind of replacement surgery because I am too young, so I wear a brace and take pain pills. Had MRI in my left knee last month - all he can say is 'arthritis'. This is something I am just gonna have to live with. It has been a hard transition to lose weight with diet instead of exercise. But I am getting there.

Will celebrate my 21st anniversary with my best friend. We have Josh, then DH has an estranged son/family we have not seen for 12+ years, and my daughter/family with GS & GD. They are 500 miles away and last time I saw them was 12 months ago. boo hoo

My current weight loss plan includes eating according to the 17 day diet, and 20-30 min of exercise daily; walk, bike, elliptical. Other than my knees, I am pretty healthy, with the exception of high cholesterol. As I witnessed Sandys phenomenal weight loss success of 8.2# last month, I knew I could do better. Compared to others here with disabilities, I am just lazy.
    Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM

I went to the doctor today and got some good news. All my diabetis tests have been in the normal range since I lost the 133#. He said if I could get the weight off I had gained back and maintain the loss that I shouldn't have any trouble with my diabetis again. All the more reason to stay with this thread for your help and support.