Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl! >
  • May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

• May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Leann I use a step meter and wear it all day. I go to a park with our Sheltie (Jasper) and DH of course. We try and walk a mile to two miles at least once a day and if possible twice. If I get only the one walk in the count is more like 6800 to 8500 so twice is what I like to do.
    Today was 7320 steps so I fell short of my goal but had other things to take care of today.
    Gail
    Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by skaduzy
    Hi everyone,
    I am 67 and lived most of my life with no weight problems.
    Then I remarried 9 years ago, got really lazy with my physical activities, ate out too much (plus ate too much) and here I am hitting 220. I huff and puff walking up the stairs. Even as I get older I still have that skinny girl mentality and think I can eat like I used to when I was younger. I know if I could lose weight I could throw out the blood pressure pills, my legs would stop aching and I would just feel lots better.
    I usually lurk on these sites but felt this one was worth joining again. (In April I gained 1 pound but not this month!)
    You all are an inspiration to me and I am hoping to lose 50 lbs. That would make me happy and I know I can do it.
    Glad you have joined us. We all need the support this group gives.
    Gail
    Old 05-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Popping in to say howdy. Did okay today.. until this evening and then had some Good N Plentys...
    BUT! The wheels are slowing turning, weather is getting better. I can start riding my bike a few times each week.. and then the pounds should start moving away..
    I think I want to get a pedometer too. Want to shoot for 1000 steps a day. I have a feeling I would appalled to see how few steps I actually take in a day...
    Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Previously written:
    "Gail, you made me laugh with your comment that food jumps on for the ride. When you count your steps, did your 10,000 come from being home, or do you purposely go for a walk? I may wear my pedometer just to see how many steps I take without exercising. Seems I did that years ago and was surprised it was barely 2,000."

I'm a retired OB nurse. I wore my pedometer to work 1 day & walked 4 miles without ever leaving the OB department.
    How many steps would 4 miles be for someone with long legs (I'm 5'10", or used to be anyway!)?
    Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 AM

What a wonderful idea. Make sure you post pictures of your quilt in progress.
    Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by lauriejo
    Missy was the third one, she was on so seldom last month I really wasn't sure if we would hear from her this month. I am glad she is back.
    Yes yes yes. I have been accused of being a ring leader. It's all true! LOL!!!

I promise you will be hearing from me like crazy!!

My very special girlfriend is coming to be with me for a week or so. She will be here Saturday. I can hardly wait!! Gosh she makes me incredibly happy!! Soo love her. Love is surely in bloom in my house.

Here is a picture of me so you know what I look like.

Missy (who has only 23 days to surgery!)
    Great picture Missy. I'm counting down the days to your surgery with you. God Bless!
    Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 AM

What's on your menu for Wednesday?

AM
    3/4 Cup of Honey Bunches of Oats
    1/4 Cup skim milk
    1/2 Orange

Snack
    1 Apple

Noon
    Chicken Stir Fry...No rice

Snack
    1 Fat free, sugar free yogurt cup, Strawberry

PM
    Grilled Chicken Salad w/Ranch Dressing

Snack
    1 String Cheese

Have a great day everyone!
    Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 AM

Yummy menu.
    Missy, you and your picture are beautiful.

MY DAILY THOUGHT
    I have a favorite t-shirt I wear every time I want to be "comfortable". It gets worn a lot! (LOL!) The shirt is blue and has big letters on it that say, "I hate orange". Being that I live in Memphis State/Univ of TN country, this shirt makes a lot of sense. However, each time I wear it I get the same comment said to me. People glance at the shirt and say, "I hate change, too". It's interesting to note that is their first glance response.

The words "change" and "opportunity" have basically the same definition. The difference is our pre-conceived attitude about what's going on. The circumstance can be identical, but what WE make of the situation determines whether we are battling change or grasping opportunity. Often when we "go on a diet", we set ourselves up to "battle change." We impede our own progress by our attitude.

Today's challenge is a change in attitude...What opportunity will you grasp today to help you get healthier?
    Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
    Originally Posted by Rose L
    Leann, My DD2 is leaving for college on the 11th of June. She will be living with her father. I'm not sure how that will go but for now that is the plan. I'll be on my own then after 29 years of parenting. It's kind of scary, don't know what I'll do with myself. It's a good thing I am focusing on my weight or living alone could easily do me in.
    I went through that 14 years ago when my sons left for college. (They are twins and went to the same college.) Both of them came home from the hospital at the same time and it seemed like I snapped my fingers and they were going out the door to college. Someone once told me that we prepare our children to leave but we don't prepare ourselves for them to leave. It was very true for me, and although I was busy with working full-time, going to graduate school, and a social life, I still had a difficult time. It took me awhile, but I finally adjusted and we still have a very good relationship.
    Jill,
    Thank you for sharing your story with me. I do feel a little better knowing that I will adjust to this in time. I have thought about it for over a year now trying to prepare myself but I'm not sure that I am there yet. My DD2 is also feeling unsure and I wish I could hold her hand for just a little longer. I know she will do fine though so I keep encouraging her.
    Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 AM

Missy, It is so nice to have a face to put with your name. I hope you and your new friend have a wonderful week together.