Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl! >
  • May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

• May2011 Weight Loss Winner is MissyGirl!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM

I guess I did ok over the weekend; not perfect, not horibble- still haven't weighed myself yet. I usually weigh once or twice a week. How about everyone else?

How often do you weigh yourself?
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Hello everyone. I've had limited online time lately, but have stayed on program. On Thursday, we can add 2 half-cup starchy carbs. I am tired of cooking 3x every day. How I long to be able to open a can of soup for dinner. Or have a bowl of cereal for breakfast.

I signed up for my first swap - oh why did I do that? I need a keeper.
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 PM

I'm dreading tomorrow when I weigh in for my first week on this challenge. I've really been trying to record everything I eat but keep going over the 1200 cal mark to about 1500 cal. I need to start exercising but it is so hot and windy out here in the country and the roads aren't that safe for walking. (Probably doesn't help that I'm reading a book about a serial killer who snatches women out walking either.) The gas prices are so high now but guess I need to drive 15 miles to town and at least walk in this little town's high school track. Wish me luck on tomorrow.
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Hi everyone! Happy Monday. Hope all of the mom's out there had a great Mother's Day. I'm going to try to paste that neat wt loss counter from my fitness pal here. We'll see what happens.http://www.myfitnesspal.com">http://badges.myfitnesspal.com/badge...ht-togo-sm.gif" border="0">

<small>MyFitnessPal - http://www.myfitnesspal.com">Free Weight Loss Tools</small>

Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 PM

Well, obviously THAT didn't work. Oh well, not much to report on wt loss anyway as I haven't weighed yet and haven't been that good.
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM

I finally read through all the post. I feel for everyone and don't know what to say. My troubles seem so small compared to many. I am almost 63 retired 2 years ago after working as a nurse in Long term Care for 25 years. I was a workaholic and cannot believe I don't miss it. I had hip replacement in the winter and couldn't "go back" to visit because of the weather and have only been back a few times. I feel guilty for abandoning the residents but I did it. Started helping my mom cut out quilts a number of years ago when she got so she couldn't stand to cut. Got hooked about 4 years ago when I jumped in with both feet and took a class on the magic quilt block!! Was so excited about it my cousing talked me into teaching a community ed class on it, I love to share and don't consider myself a "teacher" so only charged $10.00 for the class. I think we had 8 sign up and we had a ball!! They are bugging me to do another but I just can't find the time. I have a ton of arthritis and need my hip replaced again (I have worn it out)Need all the joints in my fingers replaced and might have that done this winter. I have gained about 20 pounds since I retired and the biggest reason is sweets and inactivity. I am working on eating healthier. Was inspired by my husbands cousin and her husband who have lost a ton of weight and have managed to go off insulin and blood pressure pills. My biggest motivation to keep on track tho is to see if I can influence my husband. We have started to diet so often and never stick to it. He is about 175 pounds over weight. So far he seems to be motivated by me so I can not give up. I read the posts and am inspired so it goes!!
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:02 PM
    Power Poster

Maggiemay- I weight about twice a week sometimes just once. If I weigh more than that seems like my weight is up and down and I get discouraged. Sometimes your weight is up a lb or 2 cause you ate something that made you hold more water. Or maybe ya just haven't pooped yet. (technical term) lol.Boy was it hot hre again.89* too early to be so hot.One thing about the heat I don't eat much heavy food. good luck everybody. Mary
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM

GrandmK, Please don't get so discouraged you give up. YOU and your health are worth this. Hang in there. We are all here to help you along. It's not easy by any means at all. I agree that maybe you should only weigh 1 time a week, due to the way wt can fluctuate up and down. I hope you will find enough inspiration, motivation, encouragement and cheers on this thread to keep you coming back for more, and to help keep you on track with losing weight. Bless you!!! Sandy

PS-We just got back to AL. I already miss my precious family...
    Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM

Good morning, all! Thank you for missing me...I have had a very busy weekend reading and writing for a friend. I haven't done academic research and papers for 10 years or so, it is really challenging my brain!

As far as the weight loss and exercise- I DID exercise 3 times last week and stayed on my program. Because of whatever reason, my CHF is kicking my butt and my allergy to cottonwood is in full bloom. Makes it very hard to breathe and I have at least 10 pounds of fluid in my chest. It'll get better but I want to show a Loss!

Thought for today:
    Remember your goal is to get healthier, not to show off the number on your scale. If we are truly trying to change our health prognosis, the numbers on the scale are just a symptom of our unhealthiness. Focus today on the goal of healthy, allow yourself the time to visualize yourself in better health. Think of yourself doing one different thing today to make that happen.
    WHAT SMALL CHANGE WILL YOU DO TODAY THAT WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN YOUR FUTURE?

For me, I'm going to do 5 jumping jacks every hour that I read and research. This will stimulate my heart while I stimulate my mind. The long-term difference will be a stronger cardio-vascular system.

Have a special day!
    Old 05-10-2011, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
    Hi everyone! I signed up for May and then promptly forgot. So here I am a week behind but have lost a few pounds anyway. I've been trying to read all the posts to catch up and have made it page 12. So forgive me if I ask something that has already been answered.

I'm 54 and married for 33 years to a wonderful man. We have one daughter, married and living in Oklahoma City with her husband, almost 3 yr old daughter and another girl on the way. I retired from nursing about 4 years ago. My husband and I built a house on his mother's ranch with the intention of using it on weekends and vacations until we retired. In the process of being here more, we discovered that his mom, who lived on the ranch alone, had dementia problems. So I quit work and moved into the house to be closer to her and be able to check on her several times a day, get her to a doctor for diagnosis, etc. I planned to go back to work after a few months. So here I am 4 years later, living alone on the ranch (I do have 2 dogs and two mini donkeys), MIL is in a wonderful private care home after a year with her sis and a caregiver and 6 months in a nursing home. Husban is still working 5 hours away in the Ft Worth area and I haven't gone back to work (I'm sneaky like that:).

3 years ago I lost 70 lbs, threw out my fat clothes and promptly stopped losinng when i should have lost about 30 more. I have slowly put on about 20 lbs to boot. So hope this gets me going on the 50 lbs I need to lose.

I'm going to join WW online this week. My DS is already on it and has lost about 10 lbs. So we will be able to cheer each other on.

Injured my back (or have one leg too short according to my physical therapist) and am in the process of trying to get cured. Third epidural steroid injection is Friday. I'm on
    3 different pain meds which help but suppress my willpower in addition to my pain. And I think they are stating to make me drone on and on and on here.

So nice to meet you all. I will get caught up on posts and stay on top of them. Good luck to everyone!
    Congratulations on your weight loss.Being on here will help a lot.There's a lot of nice people here all in the same boat.I wish they'd find a cure for dementia.It's a horrible disease.That's nice you have DS to help you on weight watchers.It's just better than doing it solo.I know.Well you've certainly had your hands full taking care of every body and holding down the fort.Not everyone can do that.Good luck and I do hope they can help your back.