Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep  :-) >
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

• The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 PM

Hoi everyone, My pain is mostly from spinal stenosis that has been closing on the sciatic nerve. I have pain in my leg 24/7.That's the right leg! The there is arthritis in the right hip too. In the left leg I have the knee problem, arthritis and surgery left it with bone on bone condition. Finding a way to sit, walk or lay is almost impossible, but I have to keep going or I"m afraid I will in up staying in bed. I"m just not ready for that yet! My husband and Grandson bought me one of those electric "jazzy" chairs for my Jan. birthday, but so far I haven"t used it.This QB has added new meaning to my days and nights, seems when I am reading here or looking at fabrics or patterns, it helps keep my mind off the pain. Bless all of you for always being here to teach, listen and laugh . Carol
    Old 06-26-2010, 07:25 PM

Does menapause count????
    I can go to sleep, just not stay asleep. I'm headed for bed now, but I might be back in a few hours. Wish me luck.
    Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 PM

I'm another night owl.......fibro + Lupus, poss MS on top of it all. Can't sleep w/o drugs but at least I can sleep with them. I love the fact that I can go to this board 24/7 and read about and talk to friendly, positive people. I can always find a laugh somewhere too! Thanks guys!
    Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 PM

>>>>>>>>>>> to all of you with chronic pain. Makes my carpal tunnel seem insignificant!! That is what sometimes keeps me up at night plus the fact that since menopause I don't sleep anymore!

Wishing you night owls all some little shuteye tonight!
    Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 PM

I am another one who has trouble sleeping w/o drugs and I hate them. I have sciatic nerve in the right hip and can never get comfortable in the bed. I toss and turn until the entire body aches then get up. This quilting board has really helped me pass alot of sleepless nights. I learn so much and get some great laughs. Thanks everyone....
    Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 PM
    Power Poster

I don't have trouble sleeping but I am a night owl. As long as I don't have grandkids(usually on the weekends) I am up til 3am most nights. I find it more productive to work at night and then I sleep til noon a lot. I like the nightime. It is so peaceful and the phone isn't ringing off the wall and noone is looking over my shoulder trying to talk to me. Too many interruptions during the day so I get alot more done from 9pm to 3am than I do during the day. I make miniatures that I sell so it is important to me to be able to concentrate solely on what I am doing and not try to multitask while trying to design or quilt!
    Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 PM
    Banned

Sorry that so many of you have or are in pain. But this midnight club works out great for me because it is still 3 hours earlier here and I still get to hear what all of you have to say. I love the story so many of you have taken part in. It has made my night most enjoyable.
    Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 PM
    Power Poster

This is the place for me. I fell my first year of college, about 30 years ago. The wonderful doctors I had told me I had just stretched the tendons. Yes, I am being sarcastic. These doctors didn't know what they were talking about.

It turns out that I ripped the tendons, and when they healed they grew in a different way than what they should have. This showed up in the MRI. Now I have an annoying throb in the bones of both ankles. The worst time for me is when I lay down. The doctor explained it to me that when you are walking your brain forgets about the the throb. When you lay down the brain has the time to concentrate on the ankle because you are leisure. So....it is usually about 2 or 3 before I go to sleep and that is with meds to help me sleep. My doctor said he could try surgery, but it would be experimental. So I can't do that.

On top of this I have a heel spur on my left foot and I think I have a bone spur on the bottom of my right foot. I haven't had it checked because I can't afford to go to the doctor.
    Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Just love the pic of the sleeping dog!
    Old 06-26-2010, 09:43 PM

Well, I'll join in the late-night club, too. My dominant pain problem is with my lower back. Fortunately, it is only a problem when I stand for more than 5 minutes or so. Of course, that certainly creates a few limitations!! But at least sewing can be done while sitting. I do all my cutting while sitting, too. I have had two sciatic nerve attacks, the last one a year ago that lasted over a month and only ended with the spinal steriod injections. I have COPD and sleep apnea, also. But none of this adds up to some of the problems others are dealing with, so I feel pretty lucky so far. As the say, getting old sucks!!!

I think the scariest thing that ever happened to me was having an infection from a kidney stone in the ureter that resulted in me getting septic poisoning and coming pretty darn close to dying. It was so sudden and completely unexpected. That was about three years ago. If anything, it makes me want to get the 'heirloom' things made sooner rather than later because the truth is we just never know what is going to happen in our lives.

However, I can't blame any of that on my stay-up-til-3am-habit. That has happened gradually over the years - started with needing some quiet time to myself after everyone else had gone to bed and just gets later and later and later!! My DH hates it, though, because he is the opposite. Oh well, just gives him less time to fuss at me about something I'm not doing while I'm doing all this sewing making stuff that 9 times out of 10 goes to someone else, including him!!

This forum has been so much fun to peruse every day, so keep on posting and sewing and showing your pictures!! Love to all of you.