Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep  :-) >
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

• The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM

So when is it too late at night too sew?? I am usually up till 2-3am and don't want to wake anyone up but do you set a limit to how late you sew? DH says I should read something to help me sleep so I decided I will read this site from beginning to end... HE HE that will show him! anyways just wondering how late do you sew without getting yelled out :)
    Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm here preparing a powerpoint presentation for my two friends Lime& Snoopy. This month we are making flannel pillow cases with a pieced edging using halfsquare triangles. They will practice measuring, sewing straight seams, marking and stitching squares into halfsquare triangles. Then putting the halfsquare triangles into a pleasing arrangement, sewing them together into a line. Ironing, remeasuring, then carefully pressing the line of squares length-wise. This is sewn to the open edge of the pillowcase to create a pretty edge.

I can sew 24 hours a day without getting yelled at. When Randy was alive, my sewing took over the dining room so he slept right through my all nighters.
    Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 AM

Gail: Couldn't you do some handwork? I usually have a car project going since I can't drive or see the scenery, I get bored so I knit, sew,or crochet just to keep from going nuts from my kids music and silly jokes.

I have even gone so far as to have hot chocolate ready to make, a lap quilt for my legs and the project ready to pick up when I know I'm going to end up sleepless in Brigham City.
    Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM

Gwyn thats a great idea why didn't I think of it. I have a couple of small projects that I set aside when I started quilting after so many years without doing so. I better get it out of the closet today so if I find myself up again tonight I will feel productive. Thanks for the nudge.
    Gail
    Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 AM

Quiltforme Its never to late to quilt !
    Gail
    Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Nor is it every too early. Sunrise coming in through the patio window, hot fresh coffee, a quiet house, and my quilting in its frame. Life doesn't get much better than this - for a quilter.

Gail: I have another fun habit you might like. I can justify watching Denver football, Jazz basketball, Rockies baseball and Royals soccer IF I have a project to do during the game. Each year I choose something special to do during the after season play-offs. This way, I get 4 important projects finished each year. I crocheted a bed doll during the Olympics. One baseball playoffs and world series I made a quilted tree skirt and new angel for the top of our Christmas tree. During the Jazz playoffs, I made 3porcelain angels to give as gifts. This year my baseball playoffs & world series is a Thanksgiving wall hanging.

Another fun part of this is that all the girls in the family follow suit - Catie makes cards, Betsy quilts, Margaret does cross-stitch, Gabi usually crochets, Sarah knits. My daughter-in-law Heidi cuts squares for rag quilts, does red/blue work, or colors blocks for her theme quilts. You should see all of us. We let the boys take care of the children. It is more fun than you can imagine.
    Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM

That sounds like sooo much fun Gwyn. It's just my Dh and myself so if I keep to my quilting/crochet/knitting/cross stich he starts to feel neglected. He only has one hobby and doesn't do that all the time. But I do take up hand work in front of TV just to keep my hands busy.
    Gail
    Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM

Keeps me from eating!
    Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 PM

Glad to see everyone is sleeping (I hope) Talk to you all another time I'm off to bed
    Gail
    Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

It is 11:30 in Utah. People mustbe sleeping tonight. I'll check back later.

Aunt Retta: How goes the world? Are you okay?