Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep  :-) >
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

• The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 AM

I am just a natural born night owl. I think it is a hand me down from my mother! (blame poor ole mom)!

I enjoy the peace and quiet of the nightime. I have no pains although I am in remission with cancer for 3.5 yrs now! After I had chemo and couldn't sleep this computer became my best friend.
    Glad to see I am not the only night owl on the board!
    Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 AM

I really have to get some tylenol pm or something cause I am getting tired of not being able to get to sleep at night! And then not getting up till the early afternoon. I didn't mind nights when I worked , but would like to enjoy the days now that I'm not.
    Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 AM

And has anyone noticed that when you are sleep deprived yoour pain is worse? The nerve damage in my arms and hands I notice bother alot more when I am not sleeping enough, and when I finally get myself turned around and sleeping at night, it only lasts about a week, and then I start again with the can't sleep at night! Or am I the only one having this problem!
    Old 09-25-2010, 06:35 AM

I agree with you Twisted. My pain is much more noticable when I lack sleep. I've been able to get more sleep, more regularly by starting a bedtime routine.

I stop watching TV about 1 hour before beginning the bedtime routine. It starts by taking my medication and changing into pj's. Washing my face, brushing my teeth, etc. A cup of something warm (but without the caffiene) helps. If it is cold, make sure your bed is warm before getting in. If it is hot, make sure the room temperature is cool.

I start by making sure the kitchen is clean, dishes finished, and coffee pot ready to make coffee when I turn it on.

Next, I choose the clothes I will wear the following day, including shoes, accessaries, and I lay it all out. Also, make sure there is a clean washcloth and towel for morning shower.

Take my night-time medication. Change into my pajamas, brush my teeth, brush my hair, wash my face & hands, apply LAVENDER scented lotion to arms, hands legs and feet. Apply moisturizer to face and neck.

Finally, turn on bed lamp and turn off room light. Crawl into bed with a light piece of reading. As I get sleepy, turn off light and close the book.

This works for me and is offered as an idea to others. Chronic pain is hard to live with, but the more we can do to help our bodies deal with it, the better. Routines designed to slow life down and also ward off chaos really can help. The little bit of extra effort will pay off big in the end.
    Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
    The bezt guezz I have iz the time on thiz zite iz UZA eaztern baylight time. In October it will be eaztern ztanbarb time. If it really iz important to know, email abmin. They can tell you. I juzt figure you live in my future. Have a wonberful bay anb weekenb.
    thanks Gwyn for the explanation, not that I really understand it, but it is nice to know that I live in your future. At present this is my Saturday night and it seems I am here all on my lonesome.......... and it is downright lonely!!

Hope that your pain is a little better - hypnotherapy has improved mine and I can do it myself now!
    Old 09-25-2010, 05:14 PM

Hypnotherapy might help if it didn't feel like I'm lying on a baseball. We in Utah, USA, are just beginning our Saturday evening about 7:15 pm. See, you do live in my future. And, you are not alone. Although I just got on (and can't stay long) there are many ladies/quilters on each evening. Chat will probably open up in another half hour or so. Saturday night can be really slow.

HOpe you are really near camelot and sleeping well. Take care, Gwyn
    Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 PM

I usually sleep quite well but last night had a nightmare!

yep, I really do live near to what is purported to be Camelot.
    Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM

I'm so glad you have a good night. Getting home to my own bed did wonders for me. The mess in the room...not so much, but it is fixable.
    Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
    Banned

Me too. Chronic pain with MS, Fibromyalgia, now C-spine problems.

:hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: :hunf:
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:57 AM

Chronic pain wears me out and to top it off, lying down makesit worse. I'm learning to sleep almost anywhere.