Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep  :-) >
  • The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

• The Midnight Club...For People That Can't Sleep :-)

Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 AM

Hi Gail: I put a call into the VA clinic, but I don't have a doctor there. They didn't call me back. If I was pregnant I could understand, but I don't understand what is making my feet and legs swell up. I am out of the strong water pills, but I did take an extra of the weaker ones. I'm going to call back to the VA tomorrow because it is really starting to bug me. I wish I knew someone who did massages on feet, I could really use one. Today I started getting shooting pain in my heal but the worst is where my foot meets my toes.

I think my medication is starting to kick in and I am getting sleepy. Talk to you tomorrow, Gwyn
    Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Hi Gwyn, I hate when you call a doctors office or anyplace else for help or information and it's days or never that you get a response. Maybe it's a salt retention problem. Hope they call you back soon My mother in law had swelling in her feet and she said how they throbbed and hurt. It turned out that her meds had to be adjusted. Take care and keep us posted.
    God Bless I'll keep you in my prayers
    Gail
    Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 AM

Hope your feeling better Gwyn, and the Dr.'s called you back. I know the pain can be bad. Have you tried soaking your feet with epsom salt and warm water? Sometimes it helps! I used to rub my Mom's feet, she swore I had magical hands. Couldn't do that anymore after devoloping nerve damage in my arms and hands. So she had to settle for the soaks!! Take care!
    Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 AM

I'm calling the clinic again and insisting I be seen asap. In August they did a much of heart and lung testing, but I never heard the results. I have always swollen up a little bit when I am sewing for long stretches of the day, but it usually goes away overnight. This is different.

I'll try soaking. My mother swears by it and we soak her feet every night. No body seems to know how it works, but epsom salts does work.

HOpe you all have had some rest. Today is another day. Take care, Gwyn
    Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 AM

Actually I need sleep. Been up all night again. I think you should insist and refuse to take no for an answer. If your not getting releif with resting , then you should be seen right away. Good luck. And let us know how it went. Go into the clinic early as possible and insist even if they refuse you on phone. And make sure they can see the swelling, don't cover it up!!
    Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM

The VA works in a different way than do regular doctor's offices and hositals. If the patient wants to be seen today, they have to go through the emergency room at the VA hospital. You will be seen, but probably not for a very long time.

If you don't have an appointment, the clinic will refuse to do anything. Emergencies are told to go to the hospital, and travel pay isn't given for emergencies. So I call the clinic and have to leave a message on the PAs answering machine. I have to work within the system because, until my medicare kicks in in January, the VA is my only option. I'm going to go soak in regular water. I'll have to find a way to get the epsom salts for tonight. Later
    Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Just hang in there Gwyn. Have you tried to keep you foot elevated? If not this may give some relief. Hope you got some epsom salts that may help also. Have you been watching the salt in the foods you are eating. I know this is stuff you know but sometimes when we are stressed by things we don't think of everything. Just want to help and being so far away is hard. Please take these suggestions as well meaning. Hugs Gail
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Gail: You are fine. I know you care when you give suggestions and I appreciate it. Really I do. I didn't get to a store today. It is really hard to work things around my kids work schedule. When Sarah was still here, I could also rely on her. This is why I am working hard to get all the
    things I need via the internet. I'm getting pretty good at it. I had laugh at my son Billy today. He asked me what was in the box that came today. I opened it and say "light bulbs". His response," Light bulbs!?!, You don't need to order lightbulbs. They sell those in stores all over the place. We can just go buy light bulbs at the store.!"

I gently reminded him that sometimes I wait as long as 3 weeks to go shopping. That I asked him several times to take me to Walmart - where I get my nails done. On his day off he volunteered to take my dog to the vet. He knew the dog would be there all day and they would call when we could pick him up.

At about 3:30 the vet's office called Billy on his cell phone. He had forgotten about the dog and was half way to Salt Lake. I didn't even have a car if I could find a driver. I ended up paying an extra $40 for the vet to keep Charlie over night.

So, who can go to the store and get light bulbs? Only if I enjoy living in total darkness for a while until someone else gets tired of it, and drives their car to the store to get light bulbs. Really...I love them all, but some days, ..oh well...
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 PM

Hello Ladies!
    Gwyn you're home?!
    good to hear you! I wish you lived down here so I could drive you shopping once a week and to the doctor once in a while!

I am up all nght, the night before I have dialysisat 5:30 in the morning. This is one of those nights. Well I have projects to do!
    Wishing all some sleep!
    Old 10-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Hello all or any that are out there. It's 11:25 here in Victorville Ca. and I have had a full day. I hurt all over and don't know what I did to cause it.
    I hope it's not the change in weather. I'm hoping that it's that I haven't been able to walk the last two days and I'm just getting stiff.
    I just had to do some house cleaning and it about killed me. DH said he would finish the vacuuming for me. He can be such a sweetheart. Then he said to rest this afternoon and he would take me to dinner. That was such a nice thing for him to do.
    Well I'm going to check out the new posts and see what everyone has been up to.
    Night all have a nice weekend.
    Gail