MIL's.......

Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM

I'm happy for anyone who has a loving mother or MIL.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1
I really loved my mother-in-law and still miss her. She never voiced her opinion or was judgmental. I felt more accepted by her than my own mother.
Mildred Hughes Griffin, my first MIL was like this too. When her son and I divorced, I kept her friendship and her love until the day she died. I really hope there is a heaven because I would like to see her again and let her know how knowing her made me a better person, wife and mother. A class act. My second MIL was very nice also and I loved her too but sometimes I think a man turns into a wonderful person despite his mother.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

I would consider her valiant.

Did she change her " ways" after she got indoor plumbing?
No, she didn't change and she would clean a floor with 1/2 gallon of water. She coped and survived.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 PM

My MIL was outrageous! She had very strong opinions...she was bossy, funny and I adored her. Once she gave me a lecture on the phone for about an hour...at the end of it she said, "Now you know what I think you should do so go do what you want!" She was full of wisdom and I miss her every day. My FIL was a delight as well. I was so lucky to have them and I can still hear her wonderful laughter. Now even my husband is gone and all that is left are precious memories.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM

Thankfully my late MIL lived on the east coast, so we didn't see her often. When we did I was a little afraid of her because she seemed like such a hard woman and said terrible things about friends and family. I always wondered what she said about me. After she passed her daughter, who is absolutely wonderful, told me how often her mother bragged on me and talked so fondly of me. Huh!!! Wish she had passed some of that along to me because I always wanted to know her better but never felt welcome to do that. Later when I heard of her upbringing by a very hard, angry mother, very young marriage (15) to get away from her own mother, raising of her brothers after her parents passed away and death of her husband at 40 yo and so on I could see how she got to where she was. Her story was incredible, and I would have loved to hear it and share her pain with her. I think we could have been good friends give the chance.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BCM
Sometimes to have a good mother in law, one must be a good daughter in law.
Thank you dear!! I could not have loved my dil more if she was my own after raising a house full of men. After my first grandchild was born, DH and I did everything for this girl, as she and her mother cannot boil water without getting hurt. And when he was 15 weeks old, she decided she wanted no part of our family. We have not been allowed to see him or our son since ( over a year). I cry every day for them, and for all we have missed. She is an only child, and my greatest fear is she will one day leave my son with a thousand regrets. No, it is not us. She isolated him from all of his friends too. He loves her enough to allow it. Any thoughts??
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM

I was not my DH's first "fiancée". They got engaged before he left for the service (late 60's), and she "strayed" while he was gone. We started dating when he returned, and his mother wanted him to be with "her", and made my life miserable. She constantly called me by her name, and told endless him and her stories. After about a year of dating I'd had enough, and told her off. She was very cold and aloof for awhile, but eventually came around. We dated for 5 years, and have been married 38. She became the nicest, kindest, loving, giving MIL one could have asked for. We cared for her for over 3 years when she became ill, and now that she's passed, I miss her daily. My DH is one of 4 sons. Imagine our surprise when I was specifically singled out in the will! (It was all good!!)
Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
My MIL saved dishwater to soak dirty clothes, ironed socks and turned bed sheets over to the 'clean' side. God bless her, she had to work like a dog from her pre-teen years; caring for an ailing/dying mother and keeping house and cooking for father and brothers in a home without indoor plumbing. Although employed for all of her adult life, she also found a way to get her teaching certificate in her 30's and taught in rural one-room schools for many years. Which was she, a person with odd ways or a valiant woman?
I think she was a valiant woman. Hard times are something that most of us don't have a clue about. God bless her.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by laurafet
Thank you dear!! I could not have loved my dil more if she was my own after raising a house full of men. After my first grandchild was born, DH and I did everything for this girl, as she and her mother cannot boil water without getting hurt. And when he was 15 weeks old, she decided she wanted no part of our family. We have not been allowed to see him or our son since ( over a year). I cry every day for them, and for all we have missed. She is an only child, and my greatest fear is she will one day leave my son with a thousand regrets. No, it is not us. She isolated him from all of his friends too. He loves her enough to allow it. Any thoughts??
I know you are hurting, and I am sorry. But the fault here is not your daughter in laws but your son. He should have the kahunas enough to be a man and stand up to her bullying. He is acting a fool. It is sad that he has allowed her to isolate him from all those he cared about. He needs to wake up now.