Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • The mooching person who wants to quilt >
  • The mooching person who wants to quilt

• The mooching person who wants to quilt

Old 12-22-2010, 03:10 PM

put a lock on your sewing room door or just put whatever material you are tired or or really don't care for or have no plans for into a box and tell her those are her choices PERIOD.

In my family it was my brother and sister who spent money like water and kept telling me that my husband and I were the "rich" ones of the family. We weren't rich, we just knew how to save and not spend what we didn't have.

There just is no excuse for being rude.....even if it is family.
    Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM

That is too bad you are having to deal with this. I am very "stingy" with my fabric stash and would have a hard time with someone pawing through it. I hope you get this solved with her soon.
    Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 PM

I haven't finished reading all the replies, but here is my idea:

After you tell her that you can't spare any of your stash, because you have plans for the fabric, give her tips for obtaining fabric at bargain prices. Old clothes, garage sales, thrift stores and the like are some suggestions. I bought some flat sheets on clearance when Mervyn's went out of business, and they are great for quilt backing.

I am on a rather tight budget myself, and I don't getting my fabric second hand.
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by melslove
    I would taking her to pick out her own fabric, no touchy my stashy!
    The problem with that is she may want you to pay for it if you take her to the store.
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:06 PM

Some people have no manners. That being said, when it comes to my fabric, I am very territorial! IT'S MINE! I PAID FOR IT! I would tell her that you are taking it all to Florida with you and you are going to pack your dishes and breakables in it. You will send her anything you don't need after you get there.
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM
    Power Poster

I would agree with her. Say yes I'm very lucky. DH and I are rich and I like to buy nice things for myself. Say I know I'd be very sad if I was poor but thank goodness I'm not. Tell her you didn't buy the expensive fabric to give away but to have for yourself.

Keep agreeing with her poor me, lucky you whining. Let her know that yes she is poor me and yes you are lucky you.
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM

I don't think you should go out of your way to hide your fabric or take her shopping. It is one thing to invite her over to help her sew and use your machine. You should not have to provide the fabric. If she mentions taking your fabric, just laugh and say oh, I don't think so. You don't need to explain. Sometimes if say something with a laugh or a smile you can get away with more. I do understand about trying to get along with in-laws but apparently your DDIL knows what she is like. Just try to keep it light, like it is the funniest idea you have ever heard. Good luck.:)
    Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
    Power Poster

I would just say no too. Just tell her you have plans for it, thats why you bought it. That isnt rude, just a nice way to say, NO!!!!!!!!!
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM

why are we (women especially) always concerned with being "nice" to people when they are NOT nice people to begin with? We want everyone to like us, no matter what the cost. I have to fight against this too - it is not my job to make the rest of the world happy.
    Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 PM

I'm a redhead with a temper. I tell people that they get 3 warnings (the extent of my temper control) and that is it. After I have told someone "no" for the third time all bets are off. I will NOT be nice anymore. I too, like to keep peace but enough is enough. The last of my in-laws found that out last Dec.
    My siblings already know better (4 of whom are also redheads) and they have been smart enough to warn their spouses and adult children.