• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • More Furniture pics. the hits just keep on coming >
  • More Furniture pics. the hits just keep on coming

• More Furniture pics. the hits just keep on coming

Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Lucky wife!
    You do outstanding work.
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 AM

I love to see your work. Now when did you day we could go shopping, at your house? Ha.
    Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 AM

The furniture is beautiful! Come to my house and make some for me...lol. I have some cherry wood.
    You are so talented.
    Peace and blessings,
    Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM
    KLO

Love the Kneehole Secretary and the Queen Anne Chest on Chest especially. Boy, do you ever do gorgeous work ... and that is coming from a boat builder/cabinet maker's daughter. My Dad always liked mahogany also. He even built me an eight-harness floor loom from scratch, cutting the brass teeth on the brake wheel by hand. I miss him and his expertise.
    Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Your both keepers!!!!!!!!!
    Old 09-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by KLO
    Love the Kneehole Secretary and the Queen Anne Chest on Chest especially. Boy, do you ever do gorgeous work ... and that is coming from a boat builder/cabinet maker's daughter. My Dad always liked mahogany also. He even built me an eight-harness floor loom from scratch, cutting the brass teeth on the brake wheel by hand. I miss him and his expertise.
    I also built a Floor Loom. I thought I would like to weave cloth. It was a four harness Counterbalanced Overhead beater and made out of Cherry. I used it for a few years, along with my wife, who did some weaving on it, but I sold it when we moved to a smaller place, as that thing was really large, with the overhead beater. It was very Colonial Era Looking, and I always felt I should wear a Powdered Wig when using it. Now that we have an abundance of room, I have toyed with building a Tapestry Loom, like they use in the French Tapestry studios. That is a vertical loom which is hand manipulated warp shed. Nilus LeClerc makes one if you would like to see what one looks like..Very old fashioned and only good for high tension warpage, and finger manipulation. Not fabric weaving. But, that is another project for a later date.
    John
    Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Beautiful work!
    Old 09-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Absolutely stunning works of art! Beautiful woodworking!
    Old 09-11-2011, 03:30 PM
    KLO

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
    Originally Posted by KLO
    I also built a Floor Loom. I thought I would like to weave cloth. It was a four harness Counterbalanced Overhead beater and made out of Cherry. I used it for a few years, along with my wife, who did some weaving on it, but I sold it when we moved to a smaller place, as that thing was really large, with the overhead beater. It was very Colonial Era Looking, and I always felt I should wear a Powdered Wig when using it. Now that we have an abundance of room, I have toyed with building a Tapestry Loom, like they use in the French Tapestry studios. That is a vertical loom which is hand manipulated warp shed. Nilus LeClerc makes one if you would like to see what one looks like..Very old fashioned and only good for high tension warpage, and finger manipulation. Not fabric weaving. But, that is another project for a later date.
    John
    I still have the loom my Dad built. (He also made a Dulcimer. Have you done any musical instruments yet?) It moved with us from NJ to two different houses in NC then on to FL for less than a year and now it's back in NC again. It's a 47" loom but it's a Jack style so although heavy and takes up a bit of space, it is not high like yours was. I think it might be made from maple? My Dad and his woodworking friend went to a local college and measured up the working loom that was there. It was a Gilmore loom from California. It looks exactly like the photo on this home page. http://www.gilmorelooms.com/ It has a sectional beam. He also made a floor type warping mill, tension box, and several other dodads. They built four of them, one for the friend's SIL, one for me, and I don't know what happen to the other two. I have seen the tapestry looms and have absolutely no doubt that you could build one. How about a spinning wheel? I definitely have a soft spot for carpenters. One request though .... would love to see a photo of you in a Powdered Wig. Bet your wife wouldn't know you!!!!!
    Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by KLO
    Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
    Originally Posted by KLO
    John
    I still have the loom my Dad built. (He also made a Dulcimer. Have you done any musical instruments yet?) It moved with us from NJ to two different houses in NC then on to FL for less than a year and now it's back in NC again. It's a 47" loom but it's a Jack style so although heavy and takes up a bit of space, it is not high like yours was. I think it might be made from maple? My Dad and his woodworking friend went to a local college and measured up the working loom that was there. It was a Gilmore loom from California. It looks exactly like the photo on this home page. http://www.gilmorelooms.com/ It has a sectional beam. He also made a floor type warping mill, tension box, and several other dodads. They built four of them, one for the friend's SIL, one for me, and I don't know what happen to the other two. I have seen the tapestry looms and have absolutely no doubt that you could build one. How about a spinning wheel? I definitely have a soft spot for carpenters. One request though .... would love to see a photo of you in a Powdered Wig. Bet your wife wouldn't know you!!!!!
    My wife and I used to do Civil War Re-enactment. I use to sew all of our clothes. From Crinoline hoop skirts to crotchless panties for her. And rebel outfits for myself. She has seen me all covered in fake blood, laying on an open field, in rigor mortis. I think she could handle a wig. In fact, with my shaved head, she might consider it an improvement. I never got into the whole spinning thing. I never has access to raw wool. Most people I knew who were spinners, had sheep or goats or something that produced raw wool. I only had an Airedale who didn't shed much. I have used a Gilmore jack loom, 4 harness. A friend of my wife's tried to give her one a couple of years ago. She didn't want to clutter up any of her space with it. So we let it go. They are very good looms. Maple if I remember, and very sturdy. Weaving can be very relaxing. There is something almost therapeutic about it.
    John