Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • More Furniture pics. the hits just keep on coming >
  • More Furniture pics. the hits just keep on coming

• More Furniture pics. the hits just keep on coming

Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 AM

You are a genius. Beautiful furniture! I can't even find a person to repair an old cabinet (beautiful, solid wood) on legs. The legs need to be re-glued.
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 AM

WOW!!! You are really good!
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 AM

All I can say is "Beautiful" and well done job! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
    KLO

[/quote] My wife and I used to do Civil War Re-enactment. I use to sew all of our clothes. From Crinoline hoop skirts to crotchless panties for her. And rebel outfits for myself. She has seen me all covered in fake blood, laying on an open field, in rigor mortis. I think she could handle a wig. In fact, with my shaved head, she might consider it an improvement. I never got into the whole spinning thing. I never has access to raw wool. Most people I knew who were spinners, had sheep or goats or something that produced raw wool. I only had an Airedale who didn't shed much. I have used a Gilmore jack loom, 4 harness. A friend of my wife's tried to give her one a couple of years ago. She didn't want to clutter up any of her space with it. So we let it go. They are very good looms. Maple if I remember, and very sturdy. Weaving can be very relaxing. There is something almost therapeutic about it.
    John[/quote]

Hey John, I had a good laugh while reading some of this although I am also quite impressed by all you and your wife do. (And yes, it sounds like a powdered wig would not faze her in the least!). Renaissance Man you are for sure!!! I believe if I had to pick who I was going to be stranded on a desert island with, I would pick my DH and you and your wife. I think we would be OK. It's a shame your wife did not accept that Gilmore Loom but I do understand the clutter problem. We almost sold my loom back in 2004 when we were leaving our "farmette" (13 acres with a couple of horses) to live in FL. But at the auction we had in order to sell off farm/horse equipment, I broke down and just couldn't do it. So here it sits. Since you used both types of looms, what would be your comparison of the two? Also, there is a fellow that I know from our local Charter School who also sews all his and his wife's clothing for the dancing and re-enactments that they do (Revolutionary War era, I think). He does absolutely beautiful and authentic work as I am sure you did also (again, the furniture photos say it all!). I must say I have enjoyed reading all your posts although it makes me a bit sad and nostalgic for my Dad. He worked many years building boats and yachts for Trumpy's when they were in Camden, NC before moving to the Chesapeake area. Have you ever heard of them? They even built the presidential yacht, The Sequoia. He worked under his Dad, both being master carpenters. Karen
    Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM

BEAUTIFUL ! You have a wonderful talent John.
    Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM

I must say I have enjoyed reading all your posts although it makes me a bit sad and nostalgic for my Dad. He worked many years building boats and yachts for Trumpy's when they were in Camden, NC before moving to the Chesapeake area. Have you ever heard of them? They even built the presidential yacht, The Sequoia. He worked under his Dad, both being master carpenters. Karen[/quote]
    I sure do know Trumpy's. Big time Power boat builders. I used to keep a 26 foot sailboat on San Francisco Bay for a couple of years, but I honestly didn't have enough time to justify the cost and headache so we sold it. It was a lovely 26' wooden boat. And you know what they call wooden boats, A hole in the water that you pour money into. It was fun, but I don't miss the depleted bank account. As to the comparison of the two looms, The counter balanced loom is capable of high tension warp weaving, which means tighter weave cloth, capability. The other loom is a Jack loom and it's shed is a rising shed and only capable of weaving more open soft types of cloth. If you tighten up on the warp threads, you loose your ability to make the shed. The counterbalanced has both a rising and falling shed so it is "Balanced". They serve to different purposes. Somebody who is really into weaving probably has a separate studio with one of each and a Countermarch loom and a Tapestry loom to boot. The nice thing about the Jack Loom is that it usually folds up and can be put away when not in use. Those other are there to stay, and take up some real estate whether you are using them or not. I don't think there is a "Best Loom". There is only one that does something better than other looms. If you only do that thing, then it might be the best. But weavers are experimental people and like to try new ideas out. Ergo, many looms in a weavers house. That is my take on it. And now we return you to your previously programed discussion about Quilting.
    John
    Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM
    KLO

John, Thanks for all the good info. I meandered back and found more of your wood photos. Nice stuff. And heck, you even do/did needlepoint. Who do you think you are, Rosey Grier? Figured that if you were a "wood man", you might have heard of Trumpy's. My husband says that the second happiest day of one's life is when one buys a boat. The happiest day is when one sells it! Sounds like something you could have said. And now we all know so much more about you that you would ever have told us. hehehe (PS: Who said we were talking about quilting? I thought this was all about furniture and wood, no?) Anyway, back to the sewing machine. Got a bird quilt going at the moment .... since you wanted to talk quilting.
    Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Just gorgeous furniture. You are so talented!
    Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM

A well rounded guy. A keeper, does your wife help you with any of that?
    Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mountain deb
    A well rounded guy. A keeper, does your wife help you with any of that?
    She makes it all possible. Just by being my wife.
    John