Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:57 AM

I made mine...cotton, small print and cooler than poly
Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Lyn

My DD MIL saw my dress at the wedding and said her daughter almost wore that one. I looked at her and said," Then there would have been 2 women here with good taste." Luckily she saw the humor.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I would check the consignment shops too. I ususally find really nice clothes there, though its a bit more expensive than Goodwill!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 AM

I agree Consignment Shops, Good Will etc. What size are you? I will send you what I wore, which I purchased at Yonkers for $99.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM

I have 3 sons so I've been MIL of the bride 3 times, no make that 4. DS#1 and DS#2 got married 8 weeks apart and I found gowns quickly in teal and light blue right off the rack For
DS#3's first marriage I wore royal blue as bride requested for both mothers. Her mother wore black and tired to tell me it was midnight blue, yeah like I'm color blind! 4th was the 2nd marriage for both DS#3 and his new wife so it was just family and I wore a black and biege outfit.

Right now I'm searching for a Grandmother of the bride outfit for DGD's Labor Day weekend wedding. It's so hot out to be trying on outfit after outfit but I gotta do it. Bride loves teal and bridesmade are wearing simple teal gowns. Her mother is wearing royal blue, don't know what grooms mom is wearing. Brides other grandmother is also looking for an outfit. We both want something dressy but not too fussy. Many MOB's are wearing a dressy top over wide black palazzos (spelling?) pants. Hope I can find something like that, it would be something I could wear again. May in Jersey
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 AM

I still have the formal I wore from my daughters wedding..it is mauve with a nice light weight jacket over it. The wedding was in August. I would gladly give to to someone who needs one. I payed 250.00 for it. The size is 18 petite.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I have 3 sons so I've been MIL of the bride 3 times, no make that 4. DS#1 and DS#2 got married 8 weeks apart and I found gowns quickly in teal and light blue right off the rack For
DS#3's first marriage I wore royal blue as bride requested for both mothers. Her mother wore black and tired to tell me it was midnight blue, yeah like I'm color blind! 4th was the 2nd marriage for both DS#3 and his new wife so it was just family and I wore a black and biege outfit.

Right now I'm searching for a Grandmother of the bride outfit for DGD's Labor Day weekend wedding. It's so hot out to be trying on outfit after outfit but I gotta do it. Bride loves teal and bridesmade are wearing simple teal gowns. Her mother is wearing royal blue, don't know what grooms mom is wearing. Brides other grandmother is also looking for an outfit. We both want something dressy but not too fussy. Many MOB's are wearing a dressy top over wide black palazzos (spelling?) pants. Hope I can find something like that, it would be something I could wear again. May in Jersey
Good luck on your search! This sure isn't as easy as it sounds is it?! I haven't tried anything on yet, I want to take the Bride with me to do that. Unless I find something at a resale or consignment shop. Then I will just say I found it a a boutique!! :oops:
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 AM

My one daughter and beau wanted a country wedding...... country music, two-step dancing with straw abound dancefloor.

Centerpieces were baskets lined with red & white neckerchiefs and filled with a wine bottle, two glasses, cheese, crackers and peanuts......it was a real hoe-down..

but back to the MOB.....I wore (made) a blue denim jumper with matching blouse...and a scarf of denim lined with blouse fabric.
I had seen at Harrod's a denim outfit studded.
...so I thought, why not...

I went to the RagShop, bought studs and trimmed bottom of jumper and scarf....and made my outfit for about $25..... Harrod's wanted $900.+. Now was that a bargain or what........

can't help you on fancy attire......went out and bought the other MOB dress.....pretty but never really liked it !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 AM

OMG.......rereading that, it just dawned on me, you were inquiring about a MOG dress.....

both my sons had very informal weddings, so it was come as you please and I didn't have to worry about color, style or whatever.......

2nd & 3rd times around, we just don't discuss...lolololol
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 AM

My son got married almost a year ago. I went back and forth about what to wear. Since I don't work, I almost never wear a dress. If I got a new dress, then I'd have just one more dress in my closet that I never wear. So I picked something I already had--got lots of compliments. Now that the wedding is over, I'm glad I stuck with something old. I haven't worn that dress or any other dress since.