Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
My son got married almost a year ago. I went back and forth about what to wear. Since I don't work, I almost never wear a dress. If I got a new dress, then I'd have just one more dress in my closet that I never wear. So I picked something I already had--got lots of compliments. Now that the wedding is over, I'm glad I stuck with something old. I haven't worn that dress or any other dress since.
LOL I wear dresses occasionally mostly to funerals! One time my mom said "you will wear pants to a funeral over my dead body!! She now wears pants, I tell her I will wear pants to her funeral!! I have a few shorter dark dresses but nothing appropriate for a dressy wedding!!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM

I got mine at JC Penny! I paid $60. or less on sale. Go look at their web site. Order any you like(in any sizes you want to try) After you try them on at home, if you like one, keep it. Return all the others to the store(no shipping fee). We also got the the flower girl's dress the same way. NO hassle! Worked out great for us.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:34 AM

You might want to check local consignment clothing stores. Some around here have beautiful dresses. Also, check sales at local stores.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Hi Donna, what size do you wear. I have an off white suit I bought for a son's wedding. Wore it once. It's a size 12 and I will sell it for $25.00. I live betwen Ludington and Muskegon. Just thought I would off since I livenot too far from you. Can send picture.
Mayme
Old 07-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the offer but I really do not want to go with off white. too close to the brides colors for me. I wear anywhere between an 8 to a 12 depending on the style.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:49 PM

I'm not the mother but grandmother and with knee surgeries,arthritis etc I haven't worn a dress for a long time. These young adults are using black and white so I decided on a nice black and white top with black pants. I took one of my young married daughters with me shopping and she ok"d it I hope no one gets angry but hey! I'm not a young chick anymore so that's my excuse.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:41 PM

My son recently married and I found a beautiful royal blue coctail dress at JC Penney, on sale for 68 dollars, and looked like it would have cost several hundred.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM

You have to try on the dress you buy and feel terrific or get the girls together and sew something that you will love.
This is a big event. There will be a skazillion photos. Make sure you don't compromise. Or we will all go thru our closets & you will have 46 priority mail boxes on your doorstep. Enjoy
Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Wow. I have 3 boys age 24, 22 and almost 20 and hadn't even thought of those problems. Yikes I hope they don't get married for a while yet. They are too young and life now is so expensive.
I hope you find a gown you are comfortable in and enjoy the day. It is a daunting task but you will find something nice and inexpensive if you start early.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:02 PM

My son is getting married Saturday! :-D I found a dress for $40--it's so simple--cap sleeves--gauzy kind of--layered a bit--green with purple flowers (gag on the flowers--but for $40....). The color green ended up being what the bridesmaids are wearing (so they can carry mixed bouquets of my dad's dayliles and have them match) but that's fine--the purple flowers will disrupt any ideas that I match them. :wink: I bought white flipflops to go with it. We're having a simple country wedding. The bride didn't care what I wore. :-D