Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My Anniversary Gift! I was so not expecting this lol >
  • My Anniversary Gift! I was so not expecting this lol

• My Anniversary Gift! I was so not expecting this lol

Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 PM

I hope the bird has come to a stress-free environment now. That was very thoughtful of your DH. Happy anniversary to you!
    Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM

He looks like a Charlie to me.
    Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Oh, the poor sweet bird! He is so lucky to have a new and wonderful loving home. I can't wait to see pictures of him when his feathers are back in.
    Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 PM

I am so happy your DH was able to save this poor creature. Makes me so sick that anyone could be so selfish as to treat any living thing like this. He does look kind of funny without his clothes on! Just a suggestion, .....how about Fun-shine as a name?
    Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Just want to clarify the old owners didnt neglect him intentionally. Like most people the get a bird and dont realize what it takes to keep them happy and healthy.

The reasons he plucked are boredom and stress. He was in a smallish cage with a cockatiel as a roomy. They worked too much and were not able to spend enough time with the birds and they fed a mostly store bought diet and birds do well with eggs, fruits and veggies.

I thought his feathers would grow back. I never thought to ask my DH who is an expert in the field. He is asleep now but after a few comments I looked it up and and looks like his feathers may not grow back. It just depends on how damaged the follicle is.

Ohh well even if the feathers dont grow back I will still love my bald baby
    Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 PM

Awww, poor baby. I'm glad you are able to rescue him. My DH and I once considered adopting an African Grey. We thought long and hard about it, and educated ourselves about Greys. We sadly decided that we would not be able to provide the kind of care and attention that they require and deserve. A few months later I went to a male co-worker's house. He had a gorgeous, sweet, very affectionate cockatoo who was entering puberty and therefore was misbehaving quite a bit. His new girlfriend didn't care much for the bird and had no desire to learn anything about it, so her solution was to keep him in a room all by himself, covered. I felt soooo bad for that poor bird.
    Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Poor baby.. Hes 'Lucky' to have found a new loving home..

I say call him LUCKY..
    Old 07-14-2011, 02:25 AM
    Power Poster

Aw, bless him, I know he will look splendid in time, but for now, I would call him Scruffy!
    Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 AM

I love him! With or without feathers! Hope they grow back, though and that you let us know what you name your new baby!
    Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    So my husband says he got my anniversary gift and that he had to give it to me today (anni is on Aug 4th) because he can not hide it. Well we were talking on the phone and I thought I heard something in the background but I couldnt be sure and he wanted off the phone.

Some of you may have seen my quilt I am desperately trying to finish before our anniversary. This is our 10 year anniversary and although we dont have much money I wanted something special.

My hunny found me a bird. I love birds and we had to give up my last 2 birds when we moved here to PA because Quakers are illegal here and I didnt want to risk being caught and having my baby put to sleep.

So here he is my new baby (sort of looks like a chicken because he is missing all of his feathers). Old owners didn't take real good care of him, and that how hubby was able to afford him :)

Just thought I would share. I have not come up with a name. My dog is Sassy my cat is named Sebastian and my old birds names were Sweetie and Sarah. I think we need to back away from the S names lol.
    She looks like a Suzie to me!!! I just can not understand why people get a pet, and don't take care of it.... Do they treat their kids that way, too???
    I think she will be a beautiful bird when you restore her health and new feathers grow... be sure to post a pic ar pics as she blooms into a new set of feathers!!!
    adorable, and probably happy to find a caring owner...