Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My Anniversary Gift! I was so not expecting this lol >
  • My Anniversary Gift! I was so not expecting this lol

• My Anniversary Gift! I was so not expecting this lol

Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 AM
    Lyn

I have an African Grey that is plucking. Earl (as in Earl Grey tea) and I are close and I am the only one that can handle him. Two years ago my husband had open heart surgery so I was gone for a week (a friend took care of my animals) and when my dh came home I was busy taking care of him so Earl did not get much attention for about 2-3 weeks. First came out all of the tail feathers (which are a beautiful red) and then the chest and now wings. I work with him but he won't stop. The vet wants to put a collar on him but that would stress him even more so I will keep my little plucked chicken as is as long as he doesn't hurt himself.
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lyn
    I have an African Grey that is plucking. Earl (as in Earl Grey tea) and I are close and I am the only one that can handle him. Two years ago my husband had open heart surgery so I was gone for a week (a friend took care of my animals) and when my dh came home I was busy taking care of him so Earl did not get much attention for about 2-3 weeks. First came out all of the tail feathers (which are a beautiful red) and then the chest and now wings. I work with him but he won't stop. The vet wants to put a collar on him but that would stress him even more so I will keep my little plucked chicken as is as long as he doesn't hurt himself.

Here is a vest you might want to try. I am going to make one for my little man
    http://www.petparrot.com/ParrotCarePlucking.htm
    Go all the way down to the end
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 AM

Isn't it ironic that Quakers are illegal in PA---when it was THE Quakers who originally settled it? Just thought I would point that out---I love irony.
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Oh, poor little Shaggy....he will get better.
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 AM

Have you thought about Lucky for a name, since he is very lucky to have been rescued and to be loved by you and your husband. I am sure he will be beautiful when all his feathers are in.
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
    He is such a beautiful bird and he is lucky to have you to care for him. Will his feathers grow back. Poor thing, can you knit him a sweather or something. Happpy Anniversary.
    The feathers will grow back. When they get stressed they pluck them out. Its a coping thing. I dont know how long as I have never had a bird pluck but my husband has he is a big bird guys so he knows all about them.
    Actually, this may or may not be true. It depends on how long he has been plucking. I adopted several rescued birds, and one of them was a Severe Macaw who had been seriously neglected and abused. Triumph was missing all of his toes as well as his feathers. He had plucked for so long that the follicles were damaged, and feathers simply didn't grow on his chest anymore.

However, if the feathers are still attempting to grow, there is a slight chance that it hasn't fully become a habit yet. Get a plastic spray bottle and a gallon of pure aloe vera JUICE from Wal-Mart and set the spray to mist. Give him a gentle shower of 1/4 aloe juice and 3/4 water twice a day. Instead of pure water, brew some cammomile tea, then weaken it to half strength. The cammomile has a calming effect to it, and the aloe will help relieve the itching that new feather growth causes which might help control the plucking. Hope this helps! :c)
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Aww, so cute! I'm glad your hubby found him. He deserves a good home, and now he has one. Happy early anniversary!
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM

"I love birds and we had to give up my last 2 birds when we moved here to PA because Quakers are illegal here "
    Quakers illegal in PA????!! I thought PA was the homeplace of Quakers? lol
    (seriously, what is a quaker bird, please - Im not a birder?)sharet
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
    So if you don't get the whole quilt done before your anniversary = it will be OK - just tell him it will be done by the time the whole bird is there! LOL :lol:
    Ohh my gosh I so love that!!!
    Me, too. That's a great comeback.
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM

So my husband says he got my anniversary gift and that he had to give it to me today (anni is on Aug 4th) because he can not hide it. Well we were talking on the phone and I thought I heard something in the background but I couldnt be sure and he wanted off the phone.

Some of you may have seen my quilt I am desperately trying to finish before our anniversary. This is our 10 year anniversary and although we dont have much money I wanted something special.
    My hunny found me a bird. I love birds and we had to give up my last 2 birds when we moved here to PA because Quakers are illegal here and I didnt want to risk being caught and having my baby put to sleep.

So here he is my new baby (sort of looks like a chicken because he is missing all of his feathers). Old owners didn't take real good care of him, and that how hubby was able to afford him :)

Just thought I would share. I have not come up with a name. My dog is Sassy my cat is named Sebastian and my old birds names were Sweetie and Sarah. I think we need to back away from the S names lol.
    Sonshine! He will be so happy to have a good home. Be sure to post pics when his feathers come in.